Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

heads off, check my next steps.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default heads off, check my next steps.

I'll clean the deck and bolt holes out thoroughly tomorrow, after that I'm kinda stumped.

I'm running factory replacement head gaskets and don't have them yet, I know I can check p t v without them and just add the difference but what about p r length? I'm kind of lost on what order this needs to be done..
Old 09-04-2012, 09:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

get a push rod checker and order the correct length PR.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've got one on the way. Don't I need the gaskets installed first though to get correct p r length?? If I bolt my heads on with gaskets to check length, don't I then run the risk of ruining the gaskets?
Old 09-04-2012, 09:40 PM
On The Tree

If you can check p t v clearance without gaskets and add the thickness of the gaskets to the measurement, couldn't you do the same for push rods?? Just a thought
Old 09-04-2012, 09:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

make sure you check the holes on the rear of the block and re-clean very good, i had some problems getting them to torque, especially the small ones up top.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Prob so, but I want to hear it from some people who have done it.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:19 PM
Launching!

PTV clearance involves valve events in relation to crankshaft rotation. There are many variables involved that would have to be taken into effect to calculate it without using the heads. I am a fan of the clay method which requires actually using the heads and not guessing based on calculations of compressed head gasket depth.

A pushrod checker is best done with the heads on the motor as it involves valvetrain geometry as a whole including RR ratio, deck height, compressed gasket depth, etc.

Chase the holes, degrease the block, paint it if you would like, remove any carbon buildup, check freeze plugs, etc. - Basically give it a good one over and you're good.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by JustAFooL
I've got one on the way. Don't I need the gaskets installed first though to get correct p r length?? If I bolt my heads on with gaskets to check length, don't I then run the risk of ruining the gaskets?
I've never done this myself, but if the stock LS1 piston comes out of the block 0.006", wouldn't installing the heads without a gasket cause the piston to contact the quench area of the chamber? I'm just speculating, but I'd also like to know since I'll be measuring PR length soon myself.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

I appreciate everyones replies, but i know how to do the next few steps, I'm just asking if i need gaskets on before checking length of p r's and if i need the proper push rods installed before checking p t v??
Old 09-05-2012, 07:19 PM
11 Second Club

I appreciate everyones replies, but i know how to do the next few steps, I'm just asking if i need gaskets on before checking length of p r's and if i need the proper push rods installed before checking p t v??
I am wondering the same thing how can you check ptv without the correct size pushrods.Basically which one do you measure first is what he is asking.Step by step.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Exactly. I understand how everything works, I talked to t s p today and they told me to check clearance first and once I'm good, bolt the heads down and check p r length. But, if the push rods are to long, will that not effect my measurements on clearance??
Old 09-06-2012, 12:43 AM
Launching!

Exactly. I understand how everything works, I talked to t s p today and they told me to check clearance first and once I'm good, bolt the heads down and check p r length. But, if the push rods are to long, will that not effect my measurements on clearance??
Depends on came phase/installed ICL, your RR, and intended RPM range. The smaller the RR the less the distance is multiplied to the valve stem. Realistically you can get by with 0.035 - 0.050 quench as the ideal distance but i usually recommend adding another .020 for RPM ranges higher than 6500 to allow for stretch. If you're within these ranges for your application i doubt you will have any problems when correcting valvetrain geometry. No need in overcomplicating a simple setup procedure - just know metal on metal supersedes PTV clearance - in reality metal on metal contact supersedes just about anything in a motor build.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Everyone on here sounds like a scientist! is there a simple answer to the question without going into motor building 101?? If p r length is too long, will it effect ptv clearance?? If so, what needs to be done before hand to do it correctly? Thanks for responses guys! Not being a dick but I just don't understand the fancy talk..
Old 09-06-2012, 09:59 AM
Staging Lane

Put the head on with the gasket and just snug it up handy. Get some machinist die and put it on the valve and then install a pushrod and rocker arm. Turn the engine over a few time and then take rocker off to see where the wear pattern is and adjust from there.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks buddy, thats list for rocker and pr length. What about checking p t v though. What push rods do you use? Will longer ones not make the ptv different once I change to my new ones? Big difference between factory heads and 243s milled to 59cc.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most people just use the old gaskets for checking clearances.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

What about the push rods though? I understand all of it except for what push rods to use when checking clearance.
Old 09-08-2012, 07:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

For those who were watching this thread, I finally answered my own question. You will need to find your correct length with the adjustable push rod and then check your clearance on that cylinder. Simple as that..

Quick Reply: heads off, check my next steps.