Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Needle Bearings While Changing Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 10:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Needle Bearings While Changing Oil?

Today I was changing the motor oil in my 98 Camaro z/28 and found what appear to be rocker arm needle bearings two to be exact stuck on the magnetic drain plug, car has TSP 228R cam and thicker pushrods unsure of exact thickness, I'm worried about it and with good reason as its my daily driver, my question is how long can I get away with driving my car like this before I can get another car to drive, what is the proper way to flush out any remaining needle bearings lost in my motor? And lastly, what is the best rocker arm (typical noob question I know) and how much should they run, and what would I need to do to swap out the rocker arms at home, I'm was working for the summer as a tech at a local Chevrolet dealer but never dealt with anything this complex before, but I am mechanically inclined, any and all responses are appreciated thanks!>
Old 09-09-2012, 10:36 PM
Teching In

I did read the TSB but all it said was to replace all the rocker arms...duh! lol
Old 09-09-2012, 11:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

comp trunion rebuild......nuff sed
Old 09-09-2012, 11:30 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rocker arm upgrades are not that bad if your setup is not too extreme. Variables you want to check for based on aftermarket cams though are piston to valve clearance and proper lash - different methods for hydraulic roller or solid roller.

There is an engine manual you can download in PDF form - cant remember whether i downloaded it here or somewhere else - but they are out there. I suggest grabbing it as it will be invaluable information to doing jobs like this.

As far as the bearings i cannot remember the count of the needles - but you need to find the defective rocker immediately and pull it. From there you need to count how many are missing and count how many are found. Do not consider it a done ordeal until you find all of the needle bearings.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
comp trunion rebuild......nuff sed
this, just keep your stock rockers and do the trunion upgrade immediately.....as far as finding all of the needles, you probably won't be able to be sure they're all out unless you tear down the motor completely.....but i would think that if a few found their way to the oil pan, any others would probably end up there too
Old 09-10-2012, 08:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

U will know if you got them all, by counting the needles that are still in the rocker, vs what you get from the pan...
Do the Comp mod NOW!.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The comp cams trunion kit is cheap and easy to do. I would do it asap.

Quick Reply: Needle Bearings While Changing Oil?