Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wierd ticking noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 09:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default wierd ticking noise

To start off, i have a 2000 camaro ss w 120k on it. I got this wierd loud ticking noise but not quite knock awhile ago. Ive taken it to 3 dif reputable mechanics and all said it sounded deep. So i was getting ready to do a swap but just for the hell of it i wanted to check under my valve covers. So tonight i pulled the drivers side cover n just felt all the rockers by hand and did a visual check. I didnt pull the valvetrain apart at all, then all looked well n no noticable problems so i put it back together. And did not do passenger side yet. BUT the wierd thing is, i was driving home and now the tick is wayyy less noticable...any ideas on wth it could be going off of only what i did? I just found it odd the tick died down when i virtually did nothing...
Old 09-15-2012, 12:46 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have you had the vc off previously? sounds like the rockers may be hitting the vc.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:59 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have a stethoscope take your valve covers off and put it on each of the rocker bolts. Listen to each of them and see which one is the loudest. To me it sounds like your lifters might be getting sticky. Yes it is safe to start the car while the valve covers are off. Just dont do any revving or the oil will squirt everywhere.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:04 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive never had the covers off before...the noise is wierd too. It only does it with light throttle or heavy throttle increase but not a medium steady throttle increase. If that helps any...and u can run the engine w no VC??

Quick Reply: wierd ticking noise