Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1 to iron 5.7 slight knock noise?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 08:19 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls1 to iron 5.7 slight knock noise?

had an ls1 in my car and i toasted it, busted ring lands--also had bad piston slap, so i decided to go with a 5.3 and it is bored to a 5.7 with ls crank and rods, arp rod bolts, mahle power pack forged pistons...bought it used with minimal use from a reputable local engine builder. I put a new oil pump, and timing set in, used 6.0 heads gone through, with isky springs. what i reused, stock ls1 cam, ls1 lifters, push rods, and rockers. old motor had 140K on it...the new set up still has a noise the old ls1 did, what it sounds like is kind of a knock, its more noticable on start up when the motor is cold, but is still there slightly when hot. when it idles when its hot its around 600-700 rpm i cant hear it but i can basically move the throttle with the touch of my finger to bring the rpm's up a couple hundred and i can hear it...i have 60+psi of oil pressure. is it the lifters, rockers? i know i should get a stethascope out but just wondering if anyone else has the same issue. thanks in advance
Old 09-15-2012, 12:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had the same knock on 2 of them know. 1st one was 02 TA 26k miles not as loud but still there. 2nd TA, 128k miles and very noticable that knock is there , but gets more quit when temp is up to par. It sound a more at the lower end. Ive tried differ weight oils, and this and that, still no change. Any info, Im sure will be helpful.

Quick Reply: ls1 to iron 5.7 slight knock noise?