Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

questionable intake valves

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 09:41 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default questionable intake valves

So, in determining what is causing my oil consumption, a friend and I pulled my intake manifold under the assumption that there might be an oily mess in the IM. The manifold, which had for some reason had the floor cut, was free of any substantial amount of oil. So, then we turned to the intake valves.

What do you guys think of these? I plan to do a leak down test soon, to pin-point exactly what is leaking, but why do two of the valve stems have such abrupt discoloration?
Attached Thumbnails questionable intake valves-2002tqv.jpg   questionable intake valves-fykgux.jpg   questionable intake valves-qr0lsh.jpg   questionable intake valves-214cwwj.jpg  
Old 01-04-2013, 10:29 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Probably because they're open. You're seeing the clean area that's usually in the guide when the valve is closed, and the discolored portion is what's exposed.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:25 PM
Teching In

Oh wow. I can't believe I didn't think of that. I sort of feel stupid now. I guess when you want to find something broken, you will believe want to believe, regardless of the evidence. What do you think of the condition of the valves besides that, though. I'll know for sure after a leak down, but I guess I'm just looking for opinions. Thanks!
Old 01-04-2013, 05:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by treefingers
Oh wow. I can't believe I didn't think of that. I sort of feel stupid now. I guess when you want to find something broken, you will believe want to believe, regardless of the evidence. What do you think of the condition of the valves besides that, though. I'll know for sure after a leak down, but I guess I'm just looking for opinions. Thanks!
Don't worry we have all been there before.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by treefingers
The manifold, which had for some reason had the floor cut...
What do you mean...?

Pics of this...?
Old 01-04-2013, 08:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

maybe a bad pcv valve.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

If a leak down shows any leakage ,,,,,usually a simple lapping of the valves to the seats is all that is needed but The heads need to be off of the engine to perform that
Old 01-04-2013, 09:10 PM
Teching In

I actually forgot to snap a photo before input it back on, but the floor was literally cut out, and a piece of aluminum was rtv'd in its place. It looked pretty bad. As for the PVC, the catch can routing is right, and there is a almost brand new
Pcv in between. So, I don't think it's that.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

maybe i'm missunderstanding about how the intake was modified but could it be sucking oil though the bottom of the intake?
Old 01-04-2013, 11:54 PM
Teching In

It certainly seems like a possibility. I have no spare manifold to try, until I order a new one, which I already plan to. It might be the IM, but I have a feeling that its something else, too.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by poltergeist 02
maybe i'm missunderstanding about how the intake was modified but could it be sucking oil though the bottom of the intake?
From where? It's a dry manifold, not even a coolant passage...
Old 01-05-2013, 11:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^ Quote (the floor was literally cut out, and a piece of aluminum was rtv'd in its place) thats how.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:57 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by poltergeist 02
^^^ Quote (the floor was literally cut out, and a piece of aluminum was rtv'd in its place) thats how.
Impossible. There is nothing running through/under the intake manifold other than air. The knock sensors sit below the manifold within an o ringed plate. That could cause a serious vacuum leak though.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:05 AM
Launching!

Does the car emit white smoke ever. Start paying attention to the tailpipe. While a leakdown test can isolate the cylinder, you may not not know from where its leaking. If it puffs white smoke upon startup and gets better, its probably valve seals/guides. Seals are easy to change but u gotta get the valveprings off. If it doesn't smoke on startup, when taking the car down the road, run it up to redline and let off the gas and let the engine brake for a few seconds. If the rings are bad, the high vacuum from the intake, at the high rpm with throttle closed, will pull oil past the rings and into the cylinders and burn leaving a white cloud behind you.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

haha! your right mypoorls1. i'm still stuck on my old 427. now i feel stupid
Old 01-06-2013, 01:40 PM
Launching!

I get confused a lot to but its the other way around. Helped my brother put togethet a 500in for his old challenger trying to use LS1 techniques. It happens to us all.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:38 PM
Teching In

Update: After the leak-down test, the mechanic told me that, while it is very difficult to known if an oil control ring is bad, it is most certainly losing compression from the intake and exhaust valves on cylinders 6 and 8. With both valves closed, it was audible, even from a distance, that air was coming out of the exhaust pipe and the intake valves. At this point, I'm not sure what to do. I would like to take the car the redline and let it engine brake, but, to be honest, I'm sort of afraid to.

The way I see it, I have two options:

I. New, Ported Heads/Cam/IM, and hope that the oil control rings weren't contributing to the oil consumption in cylinders 6 and 8.

II. LS3 Stroker

Any further advice? I plan to make a decision early next week. I just can't keep putting this off any longer. On top of everything, the car is exhibiting extended starts when it's hot. Ugh.

EDIT: The car does emit white smoke at start-up, and at while driving occasionally smells obviously of oil.

Quick Reply: questionable intake valves