Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heads/Cam Supporting Mods

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 01:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Heads/Cam Supporting Mods

Let me preface this by saying...I'm very much "in training" when it comes to this H/C/I stuff. Reading and rereading the cam guide and all that, so please forgive me if this is too newbie a post for this forum...

My car's very lightly modded (see sig), and now that I have another DD, this'll only be a seasonal car. I'm looking to get maybe in the upper 300/low 400 rwhp range. Sorry, even my goals are vague, because I'm not sure of all this stuff yet...

So...sort of the reason behind this post is cost. I'm looking to start diving into H/C/I but I also need to know what I'm getting my wallet into before I start. Budgeting the big parts isn't too bad:
Heads ~ $1,200 or so.
Cams ~ $400 or so.
Intake (if needed) ~ $900.
Springs ~ $250 or so.

And obviously they sway based on how much performance. What I'm worried about is the supporting mods that you go, "Oh yeah, I forgot, I need that." and "OH yeah, forgot that too." Those can end up being almost as much or even more!

So from what I gathered, these are potential supporting mods...for a "not that crazy" H/C/I setup. Which of these are required or highly recommended to buy new parts for...for the sake of durability? If I've left any out, please let me know..

- Retainers, Seats, and Valve Seals
- Head Bolts/Studs
- Valves
- Pushrods (Hi Recommended from Camguide)
- Lifters
- Rocker Arms
- LS2 Timing Chain
- Electric Water Pump
- Fuel Injectors
- Bigger MAF & TB to match Intake
- Pistons (I hope not)

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-09-2013, 01:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your car should already be in the low 300hp range. What type of dyno was used? Something seems off with those numbers.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cyberkill
Let me preface this by saying...I'm very much "in training" when it comes to this H/C/I stuff. Reading and rereading the cam guide and all that, so please forgive me if this is too newbie a post for this forum...

My car's very lightly modded (see sig), and now that I have another DD, this'll only be a seasonal car. I'm looking to get maybe in the upper 300/low 400 rwhp range. Sorry, even my goals are vague, because I'm not sure of all this stuff yet...

So...sort of the reason behind this post is cost. I'm looking to start diving into H/C/I but I also need to know what I'm getting my wallet into before I start. Budgeting the big parts isn't too bad:
Heads ~ $1,200 or so.
Cams ~ $400 or so.
Intake (if needed) ~ $900.
Springs ~ $250 or so.

And obviously they sway based on how much performance. What I'm worried about is the supporting mods that you go, "Oh yeah, I forgot, I need that." and "OH yeah, forgot that too." Those can end up being almost as much or even more!

So from what I gathered, these are potential supporting mods...for a "not that crazy" H/C/I setup. Which of these are required or highly recommended to buy new parts for...for the sake of durability? If I've left any out, please let me know..

- Retainers, Seats, and Valve Seals-(New, should be bought with spring kit)
- Head Bolts/Studs-(either)
- Valves(Should come with heads)
- Pushrods (Hi Recommended from Camguide)(Check for proper length)
- Lifters(LS7 or BT SLR lifters)
- Rocker Arms(Stock rockers are fine unless going aftermarket heads)
- LS2 Timing Chain(good choice)
- Electric Water Pump(not needed)
- Fuel Injectors(plus upgraded fuel pump)
- Bigger MAF & TB to match Intake
- Pistons (I hope not)(not needed unless motor is toast)

Thanks in advance!

My advice..
Old 01-09-2013, 03:05 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by alexus6798

My advice..
+1

-ls7 lifters
-ls2 lifter trays
-ls2 chain
-good spring kit (PRC or BTR are good)
-buy a pushrod checker for 20 bucks and measure length before purchasing pushrods like said above...
-I would invest in a ported ls6 oil pump and some 42lb injectors (ford svo green tops) are good.

also check into texas speed's H/C combo's, they come with almost everything you need minus a few things.. PM me if you need more help
Old 01-09-2013, 05:28 AM
On The Tree

I pretty much agree with alexus6798 and burkeno1 except I dont think you need a bigger TB and MAF for the hp you looking for. I think an ls6 intake and ported stock TB would be fine. 42lb injectors are probably a little overkill but they would be fine.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

some TSP prc ported 5.3 heads with a 228r cam mite get you 420rwhp.add a fast 92 intake for 15 more hp.FIC has great prices on injectors.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:19 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I used
226-230 eps cam
Psi 1511ml springs
Headers
Slp lid
3.73 gears
Tsp y pipe with magnaflow cat back

Eps tuned the car and it put down 380hp 373tq. Car already had a ls6 intake and this put everything else pretty much to the limits. Everything else in the car is stock.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Just for reference, with mods in my sig I made 460 rwhp on one dyno and 405 rwhp on another lol. Pretty much budget heads, medium cam, stock LS6 intake, and stock throttle body and MAF.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the advice! ...sounds like I have to dig a little deeper in my wallet. :/

By the way the 1 time I ever dynoed (in sig), it was on a mustang dyno and I only had a lid at that point in time. I haven't dynoed since the exhaust upgrade.

Anyway, after talking with a buddy of mine...I'm wondering if low 400 rwhp is too conservative of a goal for heads and cam. Do these parts change dramatically if I said I'm looking for mid to high 400's?
Old 01-09-2013, 08:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by cyberkill
Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the advice! ...sounds like I have to dig a little deeper in my wallet. :/

By the way the 1 time I ever dynoed (in sig), it was on a mustang dyno and I only had a lid at that point in time. I haven't dynoed since the exhaust upgrade.

Anyway, after talking with a buddy of mine...I'm wondering if low 400 rwhp is too conservative of a goal for heads and cam. Do these parts change dramatically if I said I'm looking for mid to high 400's?
Mustang dyno's read roughly 12-15% lower than a Dynojet. If you would be happy with 400-415rwhp and want to save some money, grab some stock 243's for about $400 versus spending $1200+. That would put $800 back in your budget and hit your goals. If you're not strapped and can spend the extra money, going with aftermarket/ported heads COULD get you closer to 430-440 range, with the right setup.

Quick Reply: Heads/Cam Supporting Mods