Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which LS do you suggest

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 05:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which LS do you suggest

Im new to the LS world but have been building motors for a while now, Im going to be starting a project soon and was thinking of dropping an LS1 between the fenders and figured I would sign up here because might as well go to the experts. Im slowly reading up on these and have it down to either an LS1 or LS2. I know I could put an LQ9 in but to me that would just be putting a V8 in a car that never came with it, literally I want to say it has an LS1. My plan is to get a motor/trans(auto) put a cam and supporting parts in it then drop it in. My question is which motor would be better for an occasional driver with track time. So what motor would be best for this, I know Im not giving a lot of info but it will be one of a kind Ill say that much...It will be custom fuel setup and also an aftermarket computer too.

I was also considering boosting it because I will have room for it but dont want to fully build the motor just yet (cant afford that much). Could I get away with puting a turbo/blower on for now and running low boost just to have some fun and when i can afford build the motor or do H/C now and the pull the motor and build/boost it all at once.

Finally are their any good books out their on rebuilding these motors that include torque specs and sizeing of parts. Found a couple on Amazon but if their is a "Holy Grail" of LS motors then Ill get that and read up.

Thanks for any input.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

a lq4 is a good motor for boost ,it has lower compression the a lq9. SA design has a good book on rebuilding a ls motor .you can get 5.3 cheap.a ls2 is better then a ls1,except for the intake.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by garygnu
a lq4 is a good motor for boost ,it has lower compression the a lq9. SA design has a good book on rebuilding a ls motor .you can get 5.3 cheap.a ls2 is better then a ls1,except for the intake.
Haha, thats all I needed to read, thanks
Old 02-01-2013, 09:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Id step up to the ls3. Its superior by far with some major changes.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:16 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Tainted
Agreed
Old 02-04-2013, 02:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Tainted
Agreed! Deff makes great power, especially with heads and cam combo!
Old 02-04-2013, 02:59 PM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

If you're going to run boost, I'd prefer a 4.8L or 5.3L. They're cheap, plentiful, and produce great results even with cheap Chinese turbos.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:00 PM
TECH Resident

i went ls2 with a ls3 top end. sure i dont have the extra .2L but im sure ill be more than happy with my expected #s

you dont have to go iron unless you wanna push 1000rwhp... and in that case youll need one hell of a suspension to connect that kind of power

Quick Reply: Which LS do you suggest