Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hex adjustable timing sets- can they slip?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 04:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hex adjustable timing sets- can they slip?

I am considering changing the cam in my LS1 to a comp cmas 54-459-11. Engine is stock standard except for mafless tune in a RX7 FD. It has a very large exhaust and air intake with stock 241 heads adn lS6 intake. But anyway with the comp cams 3158kt and cloyes 9-3158A it appears the cam load goes on to the hex bush. I was wondering if the bush can wear out or slip with time? Would it be better to get a 9 keyway timing set? Also double or single chain. I realise with a double chain the oil pump has to be packed out and there maybe problems with the oil pump to timing cover problems.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

When you tighten down the bolts once the cam is correctly degreed, the upper sprocket is tight against the cam and can't move. The little adjusting cam takes no load and is only used for moving the sprocket relative to the cam in small increments to degree the cam. So it has no worse chance of moving than the stock setup and won't as long as the bolts remain tight.

I prefer the single sets. Just make sure you are carefull with harmonic damper selection as this can be the cause of timing chain failures as well.

Last edited by vettenuts; 05-01-2013 at 04:29 AM.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:11 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vettenuts
When you tighten down the bolts once the cam is correctly degreed, the upper sprocket is tight against the cam and can't move. The little adjusting cam takes no load and is only used for moving the sprocket relative to the cam in small increments to degree the cam. So it has no worse chance of moving than the stock setup and won't as long as the bolts remain tight.

I prefer the single sets. Just make sure you are carefull with harmonic damper selection as this can be the cause of timing chain failures as well.
how so?
Old 05-02-2013, 03:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I would avoid ASP. ATI is a top unit. Posts provided by Kurt Urban are very informative on this subject as well.

Quick Reply: Hex adjustable timing sets- can they slip?