Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tips for an amateur engine builder?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 11:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default tips for an amateur engine builder?

So im putting together my first long block from scratch. So far I have 4 inch manley crank, 6.125 compstar rods, and 4.03 bore wiseco pistons.

For the guys with experience... any tips for me? Not nervous at all and so far I have most of the tools. Also ive heard from some guys that they don't like using plastigauge. What would be more accurate?
Old 08-15-2013, 11:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

plastigauge shouldn't really be used for much more than a sanity check - it's only slightly better than guessing. a dial bore gauge and mic set with 0.0001" accuracy are much more accurate. what I did was buy the bore gauge kit from jegs and "hot rod" it with a much better mitutoyo indicator.

aside from some books you can pick up, there's lots of good threads on here - Rezin's is one I'm aware of off the top of my head - he made a pretty detailed build thread which might be useful for ya: https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...lots-pics.html

and not to plug my thread, but I tried to do a similar thing and detail out a lot of the process. some of it I'm sure won't be applicable for you but hopefully it might be of some use. see sig

in general though, take your time. measure five times, assemble once. time consuming to do that way but you'll be rewarded with a reliable motor.

Last edited by ckpitt55; 08-16-2013 at 12:04 AM.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:00 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

be as clean during assembly as possible, make sure all the oil galleys in the block are free of debris.

the most accurate way to check clearances is with a micrometer and inside mic or dial bore gauge, with the bearings in the block and main caps, torque the caps and
mic the bore. then measrure the crank
journal, the differance between the two will be your clearance samething for the rods
Old 08-16-2013, 12:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks guys. Rezintexas did a great job assembling that short block. Now I need to go get some measuring tools. Very fine precision tools
Old 08-16-2013, 04:35 PM
Teching In

When your engine is built something will be wrong. There are many things that something could be. The more things you check and re-check and photograph/document now the less things you'll consider disassembling later. You'll be tempted to skip measuring everything, but thinking about future troubleshooting should motivate you to do things right.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Check Amazon and Ebay for Mitutoyo instrumentation. I got my 0.001mm resolution dial bore gauge new on Amazon for $301. Then just take your time and research everything. A clean workspace should be a top priority also.

Originally Posted by ckpitt55
plastigauge shouldn't really be used for much more than a sanity check - it's only slightly better than guessing. a dial bore gauge and mic set with 0.0001" accuracy are much more accurate. what I did was buy the bore gauge kit from jegs and "hot rod" it with a much better mitutoyo indicator.

aside from some books you can pick up, there's lots of good threads on here - Rezin's is one I'm aware of off the top of my head - he made a pretty detailed build thread which might be useful for ya: https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...lots-pics.html

and not to plug my thread, but I tried to do a similar thing and detail out a lot of the process. some of it I'm sure won't be applicable for you but hopefully it might be of some use. see sig

in general though, take your time. measure five times, assemble once. time consuming to do that way but you'll be rewarded with a reliable motor.
Thanks for the shoutout! I'm learning quite a bit from your thread as well. This forum is one of the best I've seen for sharing information.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get an engine cleaning brush and for measurements a dial bore gauge and micrometer to check bearing clearances, **** plasticgage
Old 08-17-2013, 12:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks guys. My torque wrenches are snap on so hopefully they are well calibrated. Thanks for all the info. Ill be updating so I can show my progress
Old 08-17-2013, 07:55 AM
TECH Addict

Based on your other post "What's good clearances" my advice is to take the money you were going to spend and burn it. This way you'll at least get the value of being warm for a bit.

Burning $$ is a much more valuable investment than trying to build an engine by guesswork without an assembly manual that includes clearances, torque specs, and procedures.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:05 PM
Teching In

look here

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ance-mods.html
Old 08-17-2013, 08:30 PM
Staging Lane

I may have been told wrong, but I've seen many engines assembled checking clearances with plastigauge and they've ran and lasted. I'd consider it a double check item at least...
Old 08-17-2013, 11:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Buy a few engine bags and keep it covered at all times whatever you do...

And don't try the build in a old dusty garage cuz **** will get kicked up in the air...
Old 08-18-2013, 06:08 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SOHCNightmare
I may have been told wrong, but I've seen many engines assembled checking clearances with plastigauge and they've ran and lasted. I'd consider it a double check item at least...
I've seen guys put their car up on cinderblocks instead of jack stands.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:16 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by crainholio
I've seen guys put their car up on cinderblocks instead of jack stands.
Works, might not be the best idea, but it does work lol.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by crainholio
Based on your other post "What's good clearances" my advice is to take the money you were going to spend and burn it. This way you'll at least get the value of being warm for a bit.

Burning $$ is a much more valuable investment than trying to build an engine by guesswork without an assembly manual that includes clearances, torque specs, and procedures.
Im not building by guess work. The other post was to give me an idea on what clearances people are running.

Thanks all for the advise.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Helpfull thread.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:45 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by gsxrjunkie750
Has anyone downloaded this? Is it spam?
Old 08-21-2013, 05:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by White.Lightning
Has anyone downloaded this? Is it spam?
Works great on my mac. Its just a large PDF on rebuilding LS motors.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:20 AM
On The Tree

I downloaded it, so far, so good.

Quick Reply: tips for an amateur engine builder?