Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What forged piston/ring set replacement for stock bore, high compression LS1?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 09:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What forged piston/ring set replacement for stock bore, high compression LS1?

Looking around it seems like Wiseco has the best price point and quality balance for pistons/rings as a packaged set. Only thing is though it doesn't look like they offer stock bore of 3.898?

Mahle looks to have some for stock bore, and so does manley but for a bit more $$ it looks like.

To add to my confusion is the plethora of different cc's, rod lengths, compression heights, etc, none of which I really understand.

What I really need is a forged piston/ring set that would be a direct replacement for stock pistons, used on stock rods, while keeping the same compression ratio I have.

Running ETP215 heads with cometic 0.045 gaskets for more quench. MPH was supposed to have shaved the heads to increase compression, but digging up my old build sheet/receipt from them, it doesn't look like they did, having listed as a 59cc chamber volume and standard deck thickness. I want to believe they did though and it just didn't translate to the build sheet.

With that said, what pistons do I exactly need to keep the same exact compression I have today if the block was not honed? If the block was honed to clean up the walls, what would my next option be for piston? Maybe some sponsors can chime in

Cost wise $700's and below target.

thanks all!!
Old 09-11-2013, 12:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Standard rod length is 6.098" which uses a press fit style wrist pin. Most pre-
fer to put GEN I rods which have a 6.125" length and a .927" floating pin.
The piston ends up just a tad shorter in height and slightly lighter. This tends
to force a crank rebalance but then the pistons are removeable for future
builds without needing a shop to press them off as like the stock stuff. I like
the Mahle stuff and use it quite often in my circle track builds...the skirts are
coated with anti friction teflon and the top of the piston has a thermal barrier
coating to reject heat back into the combustion chamber. Their ring package
is also thin and low tension....good stuff. IIWY I'd go either 3.903" or 3.905"
on the sizing and get that block to a competant shop that can put the proper
cross hatch in the bores for those rings.....ring seal is crucial to making good
power.....
Old 09-13-2013, 08:36 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default same questions

I'm in the same boat. I need to upgrade to forged pistons after breaking the stock ones. Since mine is Turbo'd I'm not real concerned about gaining power from compression. I'm looking at some dished Diamond number 11503. also considering rods for full floating just to make installing the pistons easier. can't decide on rods. not really wanting to change crank and or re-balance but if I have to anyway, maybe go with a stroker kit? looks like good value and add some c.i. help?
Old 09-13-2013, 10:15 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by OkieDave
I'm in the same boat. I need to upgrade to forged pistons after breaking the stock ones. Since mine is Turbo'd I'm not real concerned about gaining power from compression. I'm looking at some dished Diamond number 11503. also considering rods for full floating just to make installing the pistons easier. can't decide on rods. not really wanting to change crank and or re-balance but if I have to anyway, maybe go with a stroker kit? looks like good value and add some c.i. help?
If you do your homework...perhaps you can find a set of pistons that weigh
434 grams and some Scat or Compstar rods that have the same big end and
total weight but often it is difficult to get that lucky. Also I wouldn't add cub-
ic inches since you're boosting which means you are artificially telling it how
big it's gonna act. Another 1-2 lbs of boost will more than offset a 4" crank.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like I'm going to have to hone the cylinder out according to the shop engine builder to 3.905". I guess with this I'll need forged, and a supportive rod.

Would a Scat I rod work well for what I'm after? Not sure I really need a H style rod which is almost double the price. I'm going NA higher compression.

I'm a bit confused, and need help regarding piston and rod specs to use to achieve 11.XXX compression ratio. Today I'm using 0.045 cometic gaskets on ETP 215 heads with 59cc chambers, stock piston/rod.

Looking at Wiseco, Scat, maybe Mahle (though heard of complaints on piston skirt damage and tolerance issues), and Probe seem to be well liked.

Everyone one of these have reliefs for valves which increase chamber volume and reducing compression...
Old 09-18-2013, 07:21 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SilverSmoke
Looks like I'm going to have to hone the cylinder out according to the shop engine builder to 3.905". I guess with this I'll need forged, and a supportive rod.

Would a Scat I rod work well for what I'm after? Not sure I really need a H style rod which is almost double the price. I'm going NA higher compression.

I'm a bit confused, and need help regarding piston and rod specs to use to achieve 11.XXX compression ratio. Today I'm using 0.045 cometic gaskets on ETP 215 heads with 59cc chambers, stock piston/rod.

Looking at Wiseco, Scat, maybe Mahle (though heard of complaints on piston skirt damage and tolerance issues), and Probe seem to be well liked.

Everyone one of these have reliefs for valves which increase chamber volume and reducing compression...
You are about 11.35-11.45 comp now and could just do a clean up cut of 3-
5 thousandths on the heads for 58cc and run .040 Cometic gaskets in order
to offset the volume of the valve releifs

Quick Reply: What forged piston/ring set replacement for stock bore, high compression LS1?