Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low Idle on cold start after header install

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 07:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Idle on cold start after header install

Just installed some new parts on my 2001 camaro SS m6. And noticed that on cold starts it would idle at 700-800rpm when it was cold or warm doesnt matter. Is this normal? I was pretty certain it was supposed to idle around 1500 when cold to get things warmed up. Heres the new stuff that went on:

TSP 1 7/8 Longtubes
TSP catted y-pipe
Corvette o2 sensors
AC Delco 41-110 plugs
MSD wires

Also a couple questions about the said parts. I couldnt get the msd wires to pop onto their connections to save my life. Only 4 of the wires clicked solidly onto the plugs and only 2 popped onto the coilpacks. Is this fine? Anyone else have any issues with them?

And I may not be the only one but did anyone have fitment issues with the tsp 1 7/8 headers? I dont even want to talk about the y pipe because that thing wasnt even close. And the headers were hitting the K member on both sides.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:43 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same problem with my TSP 1 7/8" headers which were just installed a couple of weeks ago. Had to use a torch and hammer on the passenger side k-member, while the driver's side required a healthy dose of material removal with a saz-all. There was no way I was going to ding the headers (they looked great, although the fit was poor. I also used the TSP catted y, and ended up having to cut about a 1/2" from the drivers side in order to get them to fit together properly. I plan on replacing the 1" wide band clamps soon with ones that are closer to 4" wide.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Question

Old 10-22-2013, 08:29 AM
Launching!

Can't speak on the headers but I got the MSD Super Conductors and yea I ain't too happy with em either. I had a tough time connecting them as well. The way I did it was bend all the boots upward a little to the direction of the coil packs. Then connect them to the spark plugs first. While holding the boots down on the plugs I connected the wires to the coil packs. They're still not on there as tight as I'd like but I haven't got around to buying a new set of wires. I just can't believe in all the time they've been out that MSD hasn't revised them at all. If they just had a half inch more wire they'd fit perfectly.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:26 AM
Staging Lane

So them not clicking on shouldn't be an issue right? And ya i grinded the living hell out of the k member and i still thing them are hitting it. Not to mention that while i was cutting the angle grinder got away from me and hit me in the back. I also just scanned my codes and had p1133 and p1153. Id imagine this pertains to my exhaust leaks fooling the o2's.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:51 PM
Launching!

Not all of mine "clicked" on but I had em on as good as I could get em. I do have what sounds like some small backfires on deceleration now though. I'm not sure if thats anything to do with the wires though. I def don't plan on keeping these wires either way though.

Quick Reply: Low Idle on cold start after header install