Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brian Tooley spring kit with stock cam Q ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 11:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brian Tooley spring kit with stock cam Q ?

Hi All,
Well I'm looking into a cam upgrade for my VYSV8 LS1 Commodore after Xmas but I'm finding it extremely difficult to make a decision on.
In the mean time I have purchased and I'm waiting on delivery of the Brian Tooley platinum spring kit and chromemoly pushrod set.
My question and I hope it's not ridiculous is, can I install the kit and rods alongside the factory cam which is a 198/209 500/500 119.5 combined with 1.9 ratio Mace Hi lift rockers which should give a new lift figure of 559/559 ?
Will it work ok or are the springs to strong for the factory cam and cause valve train dilemmas?
My thinking is maybe change tact from a Cam for now, go for the rocker upgrade since it needs new springs to work properly anyway and then add a Cam later if desired. Most of the cams I'm looking at are small and have sub 600 lift anyway, so rockers should be ok, or I may just stop the engine mods there. I'm not sure at all now, really I'm only looking for a little more throttle response and torque anyway. But I don't want to have the kit hanging around as I also plan to install a improved cold air intake setup at the same time.
Advice appreciated.....
Old 10-22-2013, 11:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

The springs will work just fine with the factory cam.

I'd skip the rockers and go right to a cam though. You won't really feel a big difference just adding .050" of lift on the stock cam. Maybe 5-10 hp. Even the smallest of after market cams with stock like idles gain 30+.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks...I'll most probably do that but I like to know there is always a plan B if required.

Quick Reply: Brian Tooley spring kit with stock cam Q ?