Sponsored by:

Newb - what am I lookin at?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 07:00 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newb - what am I lookin at?

Hey all....
need some of your thoughts here. I put a 5.3 in my CJ7 a year ago that had 103k on it out of a suburban. It ran great except for a month or so ago it started running crappy and stumbling and all... I noticed a few things and couldn't sort it out. Well, last time I tried to start it, it wouldn't crank. So, I thought, let me just pull the plugs out and turn it over to make sure it's not seized up or something.

So last night I went out and pulled the spark plugs, and when I got the the number 4 cylinder plug i noticed it was kind of wet.. but when I pulled the number 6 cylinder plug, it started draining radiator fluid.

So, I know something bad happened... my thoughts are is that it's either a blown head gasket or a cracked head... is that what I'm looking at? IS cracked heads normal or fairly common on these motors? What would have caused that? It never ran hot and I never stressed the motor at all.

TIA
Old 10-23-2013, 07:03 AM
12 Second Club

if it didnt run hot its gonna be a blown head gasket more than likely. Time to do a big HP rebuild while you got it apart.!!! LOL
Old 10-23-2013, 07:45 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

CJaredo7, welcome to LS1 tech! SEARCH will be your best friend around here.

Yep, you have a blown head gasket.

As the engine wouldn't crank, it was probably because that cylinder was full of coolant. You may have a bent connecting rod.

You need a full rebuild of this engine. Yank it and get it to a reputable engine shop.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:03 AM
Teching In

well, I'm certainly hoping that it was just head gasket. I will begin the teardown this weekend... and I'll pull the pan too of course to check the bottom end. If I had to do a full rebuild I may as well just go buy another 5.3 or maybe a 6.0 and shove it in there instead... how much would a full rebuild cost vs just gettin another motor?
Old 10-23-2013, 08:14 AM
Teching In

I should also add... once I got the spark plugs removed I was able to turn the crank on the motor with my 15/16" socket wrench and it felt normal and there were no strange noises coming from the block while turning the crank through a few cycles.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:22 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

You could do head gaskets and then find out afterwards that you have noise from a bent rod. I wouldn't take the chance-rebuild or replace this motor.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:36 AM
Teching In

Can I do a rebuild (new rings/rods/pistons if necessary and of course, reworked heads) while it's sitting in the jeep? Taking that whole thing back out is something I'd like to avoid if I can.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:44 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

No. At minimum, the block machine work (cylinder hone) requires the block be at least hot tanked and washed.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It would be way cheaper to just buy another 5.3 shortblock, junkyard one would be cheaper than gaskets and bearings alone, the machine work is the expensive part, then you have to hope they do it right lol...

Quick Reply: Newb - what am I lookin at?