Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 model LS1, freshening up short block... question

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 model LS1, freshening up short block... question

I have a good running 98 model LS1 motor that I'm pulling to install a set of LS6 heads and MS3 cam. While it's out I'm going to send the motor off to the machine shop to have new rings, bearings and gaskets installed. Out of curiosity is the stock bottom end strong enough, pistons included, to handle N/A power from this heads and cam package?

I will be installing ARP rod bolts while its apart along with a ported LS6 oil pump and LS2 timing chain. What else should I do while its apart? I see some people upgrading to a LS6 valley cover, what exactly does that improve?

List of parts for this rebuild are below... just looking for some advice on what to look for or what to improve since its a 98 motor.

Stage 2.5 LS6 heads, PRC
MS3 Cam
Hardened pushrods
LS7 lifters and LS2 guides
LS2 timing chain
ARP rod and head bolts
Stock GM gaskets
stock rocker arms
LS6 ported oil pump

This is a street car, not a drag car, so it won't see hard drag strip abuse. Just a little fun here and there on the street or SCCA track.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great, only thing I would add to the list is the comp trunnion rocker upgrade, its well worth the money IMO, I would hate to loose a new engine to a rocker needle bearing. And to answer your question a stock bottom end will be fine.

Quick Reply: 98 model LS1, freshening up short block... question