Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

change oil after head gasket replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 11:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default change oil after head gasket replacement?

Is it absolutely necessary, or just recommended? I recently changed my oil before noticing a coolant leak from the front of my driver side head. I'm in the process of replacing the gaskets and have cleaned out the cylinders and bolt holes of coolant the best I could with paper towels and compressed air.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Lockdown99ss
Is it absolutely necessary, or just recommended? I recently changed my oil before noticing a coolant leak from the front of my driver side head. I'm in the process of replacing the gaskets and have cleaned out the cylinders and bolt holes of coolant the best I could with paper towels and compressed air.
Might as well, $20-$30 well spent

Could have possible coolant in the oil
Old 01-04-2014, 07:32 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

This should not even be a question, it should just be done automatically. If worried about the money use a cheap oil and change it sooner than you otherwise normally would. Cheap oils as long as they are near the recoomended weight and appropriately API rated are fine, the benefits of running "better" oils are pretty much splitting hairs and is fine if it makes you feel better. Point being you can buy whatever is on sale at the parts store or walmart and it will not do any harm, the dirt and coolant that likely got into the system will be a LOT LOT more likely to do harm.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:03 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mr. 96caprice had it exactly right. As you pulled the heads coolant came out and went down passages and into the oil. Even on a completely drained engine there will be remnants. The ONLY way you could reuse your clean oil would have been to drain it into a clean pan before disassembly, then put in some cheaper oil for startup for a few moments after assembly, and then change it back to your premium stuff. But most guys on here don't seem to skimp on their babies. So yes, it will need an oil change!
Old 01-04-2014, 08:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm in the process of replacing the gaskets and have cleaned out the cylinders and bolt holes of coolant the best I could with paper towels and compressed air.
That means nothing in regards to whether or not the oil got contaminated with coolant.

Can you be absolutely sure that no coolant got into the coolant passages all around the cylinders? If so then yes I guess you can skimp out on $30 worth of oil.

Otherwise I'd change the oil out, you don't even have to do the filter.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:35 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

After I have the engine open like that I actually tend to leave the drain plug out for the first quart of whatever is cheapest to try and flush debris or water from the bottom of the pan before even refilling.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:25 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Perfect. That answers my question!

Quick Reply: change oil after head gasket replacement?