Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My build 396 cid on E85 w/ 14:1

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 04:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

AI 232 243 heads (57 cc 2.055/1.550 valves)
How are you getting those AI heads to 57cc? They come from AI at 65cc and that's after 0.030 milling they say, so you would need another 0.050 cut?

Or are they doing the same thing as with the HCR 241s where they weld and then cut the chamber?
Old 02-07-2014, 06:32 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well the 243s I have are 64cc stock and they are going to mill them down to 57 cc. Phil from AI didn't mention anything about having to cut and weld them so I am unsure about that. He said he can mill them to 57 cc no problem and there would be no fitment issues either.

Here is the crank I received in the mail today.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Very cool build sir, not something you see every day. Most everyone that switches to corn uses it for a good detonation control fuel for forced induction. It will be interesting to see how it does N/A with that high compression.
In for results

One suggestion if you are going to gut the cats... Take a angle grinder and cut the biggest rectangle hole you can out of the top of the cat, remove the ceramic and then weld in a pipe to connect it internally. Then weld the rectangle that you cut out back in place. This gets rid of the shitty tin can sound of a gutted cat and when you stand under the car on a lift the cat looks untouched.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:26 PM
Staging Lane

Good luck on your build!

I think your goal of 500rwhp is much more realistic than your tuners. Auto+S60 not so great for NA. I think you'll end up around 525-530. If you end up with more, you'll be that much happier! Lol.

95lb injectors are a bit large for a NA E85 motor.

Planning on getting a decent vacuum pump?

PST Makes a nice drive shaft BTW.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Dietcoke on here just put down some hellacious numbers with his 14:1 compression/e85 build, so I would expect the same for the OP. The OP has a great gameplan and a great parts list that he's put a lot of thought in, so he's going to reap the benefits of the work he's put in with high HP numbers an low ET's.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SinisterWS6
Good luck on your build!

I think your goal of 500rwhp is much more realistic than your tuners. Auto+S60 not so great for NA. I think you'll end up around 525-530. If you end up with more, you'll be that much happier! Lol.

95lb injectors are a bit large for a NA E85 motor.

Planning on getting a decent vacuum pump?

PST Makes a nice drive shaft BTW.

My tuner can tune for any injector and I don't want the injector to be holding me back which is why I am going with 95#. He saw no problem with doing them on this build but I could go no smaller than 60#. I may change and go a tad smaller but that is one of the last items I will be purchasing for the engine build so I will cross that bridge when I come to it. Will I need a vacuum pump, I didn't think I would but I could be wrong? If so what is a good one to get.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Well the 243s I have are 64cc stock and they are going to mill them down to 57 cc. Phil from AI didn't mention anything about having to cut and weld them so I am unsure about that. He said he can mill them to 57 cc no problem and there would be no fitment issues either.
Hmm, are your chambers not touched? The AI heads I have are at 65cc but had to be cut 0.030 to get there since they took out a bunch of material from the chambers when porting.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by redtan

Hmm, are your chambers not touched? The AI heads I have are at 65cc but had to be cut 0.030 to get there since they took out a bunch of material from the chambers when porting.
Not touched at all.That is strange because GM stock 243s are 64cc (64.45 to be exact) from the factory. According to Phil all he needs to do is mill them down to 57 cc and then machine the flanges, he did not see any problems with that. He did also mention that with the 2.055 intake valve it does result in less milling because they take up a few ccs in the combustion chamber.

Last edited by 98TransAmWs-6; 02-08-2014 at 12:08 AM.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:38 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Dietcoke on here just put down some hellacious numbers with his 14:1 compression/e85 build, so I would expect the same for the OP. The OP has a great gameplan and a great parts list that he's put a lot of thought in, so he's going to reap the benefits of the work he's put in with high HP numbers an low ET's.
LS7 smalll bore CNC'd heads compared to ported 243's, I fail to see how your comparing these 2 builds outside compression. He also has a lot more bore to work with, basically a tunnel ram style intake, GZ vacuum pump, 14.7:1 compression, big *** cam for rect style heads, list goes on.

Yeah its an entirely different ball game on dietcokes engine. Interesting reference though.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:46 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6
My tuner can tune for any injector and I don't want the injector to be holding me back which is why I am going with 95#. He saw no problem with doing them on this build but I could go no smaller than 60#. I may change and go a tad smaller but that is one of the last items I will be purchasing for the engine build so I will cross that bridge when I come to it. Will I need a vacuum pump, I didn't think I would but I could be wrong? If so what is a good one to get.
I have 80lb FIC's on my 414 14:1 E85 motor. You have to account for the operating pressure vs flowed pressure that injectors are rated with and that typically fuel pressure rises with demand. GM fuel system tyipcally flows 50-60psi, 55-60 being the norm, especially with 2 pumps. Most injectors are rated at 40-43.5psi. If someone would like to correct me on that feel free. Fuel demand also related to engine efficiency to a tuning aspect.

You CAN run injectors that are too big, but that doesn't mean its a good idea. I could see 95's if you were boosting on E85, but not for a NA build. I have a friend who maxed out 80's (what we had laying around int he shop) on a twin turbo 370 at 720rwhp.I think his pump set up is more the problem so we replaced them but haven't re-ran the combo.

Vacuum Pump wise, I have a GZ unit, so do a lot of other guys who run their cars as street/strip. I would advise it with your compression, it will help ring seal immensely and evacuate crank case pressure. Also gets rid of the entire PCV system. There's a few members here and on Yellow Bullet who run the Moroso unit as well.

Not touched at all.That is strange because GM stock 243s are 64cc (64.45 to be exact) from the factory. According to Phil all he needs to do is mill them down to 57 cc and then machine the flanges, he did not see any problems with that. He did also mention that with the 2.055 intake valve it does result in less milling because they take up a few ccs in the combustion chamber.
Well if your getting the 232 package done, your chambers will be touched. Your valve upgrade is a very wise decision, and you are correct, it will compensate for some combustion chamber size increase, resulting in less milling. None the less, they aren't hard to get down to 57cc. I think there was a guy who milled his 317's down to 48cc....LOL

Needless to say though, I wasn't ******* on your build at all. I am actually looking forward to your results. Its what I would of done with my LS1 if I kept it. Just giving you a good guesstimate. I never aim too high, just makes it that much sweeter when the results exceed your expectations! It should be REALLY torquey and a blast to drive regardless of what a dyno says. Its just a tuning tool after all.

Last edited by SinisterWS6; 02-08-2014 at 01:36 AM.
Old 02-08-2014, 01:02 AM
Launching!

I have 72lb FIC's on my 414 14:1 E85 motor. You have to account for the operating pressure vs flowed pressure that injectors are rated with and that typically fuel pressure rises with demand. GM fuel system tyipcally flows 50-60psi, 55-60 being the norm, especially with 2 pumps. Most injectors are rated at 40-43.5psi. If someone would like to correct me on that feel free. Fuel demand also related to engine efficiency to a tuning aspect.

You CAN run injectors that are too big, but that doesn't mean its a good idea. I could see 95's if you were boosting on E85, but not for a NA build. I have a friend who maxed out 80's (what we had laying around int he shop) on a twin turbo 370 at 720rwhp.I think his pump set up is more the problem so we replaced them but haven't re-ran the combo.

Well if your getting the 232 package done, your chambers will be touched. Your valve upgrade is a very wise decision, and you are correct, it will compensate for some combustion chamber size increase, resulting in less milling. None the less, they aren't hard to get down to 57cc. I think there was a guy who milled his 317's down to 48cc....LOL
I meant as they sit right now they aren't touched. If I don't go with 95# it will be between 78 and 88# injectors for me since the only other size are 60#. I just don't want the injector to be holding me back and 60# is on the edge by the looks of it. I'll look into that vacuum pump for sure. Thanks for the information, I figured you weren't ******* it. I don't usually get caught up with hp numbers as it matters more on how it performs rather than what the dyno says.

Last edited by 98TransAmWs-6; 02-08-2014 at 01:31 AM.
Old 02-08-2014, 01:46 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah, 60lb injectors would be close to maxxed out if you give it a 80% efficiency. They would flow almost 70lbs on a 58psi fuel system, and your requiring roughly 66 as a estimate. Just something to think about.

I know some of the sponsors carry FIC so this shouldn't be a problem but here's a link to FIC's website. Here

So how fast are you trying to get that sled to go!?
Old 02-08-2014, 08:10 AM
Launching!

Yeah, 60lb injectors would be close to maxxed out if you give it a 80% efficiency. They would flow almost 70lbs on a 58psi fuel system, and your requiring roughly 66 as a estimate. Just something to think about.

I know some of the sponsors carry FIC so this shouldn't be a problem but here's a link to FIC's website. Here

So how fast are you trying to get that sled to go!?
I am trying to get it to go as fast as possible by squeezing the most power out of it but my minimum goal would be in the 10s at the strip.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

LS7 smalll bore CNC'd heads compared to ported 243's, I fail to see how your comparing these 2 builds outside compression. He also has a lot more bore to work with, basically a tunnel ram style intake, GZ vacuum pump, 14.7:1 compression, big *** cam for rect style heads, list goes on.

Yeah its an entirely different ball game on dietcokes engine. Interesting reference though.
If you read and can comprehend, you'll see I was comparing the builds because both are high compression and both have well thought out parts and a great game plan. Obviously they are different, but there are aspects that are the same.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
If you read and can comprehend, you'll see I was comparing the builds because both are high compression and both have well thought out parts and a great game plan. Obviously they are different, but there are aspects that are the same.
Obviously i can comprehend, no need for the childish insults.

I made a power guess obviously lower than dietcokes build, and you said you would expect the same for the OP. I think you need to properly word your statements and may be there will be less confusion in the future.

From a builders stand point, I told you there isn't a comparison outside compression. Sorry you disagree with that. We were both making statements.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:23 PM
Staging Lane

I am trying to get it to go as fast as possible by squeezing the most power out of it but my minimum goal would be in the 10s at the strip.
I think thats very doable! I'd be hard pressed to see it run slower when its all dialed in.

Did you prefit your rotating assembly yet?
Old 02-08-2014, 12:25 PM
Launching!

I think thats very doable! I'd be hard pressed to see it run slower when its all dialed in.

Did you prefit your rotating assembly yet?
I haven't received my pistons yet so I need to wait before pre-fitting. It appears that Wiseco has to make them and it will be 3 weeks before they are in. I thought I got a shipping notification from them but it was actually for my K1 crank.
Old 02-08-2014, 01:13 PM
Staging Lane

Ah. Yeah they don't seem to stock dome pistons much. I had to wait 3 weeks for mine too but I had a custom set made (didn't want to overbore a new block). They hold true to their time frames.

Sorry for pestering you LOL, its cool seeing a lot of E85 stroker builds now a days and what guys are doing with them.

Main reason I was wondering about your pre-fit was because your basically using a rotating assembly from 1 company. Just curious how it all fit up, clearance wise. I was looking at a K1 crank for another build but thats a ways away yet.
Old 02-08-2014, 01:58 PM
Launching!

Ah. Yeah they don't seem to stock dome pistons much. I had to wait 3 weeks for mine too but I had a custom set made (didn't want to overbore a new block). They hold true to their time frames.

Sorry for pestering you LOL, its cool seeing a lot of E85 stroker builds now a days and what guys are doing with them.

Main reason I was wondering about your pre-fit was because your basically using a rotating assembly from 1 company. Just curious how it all fit up, clearance wise. I was looking at a K1 crank for another build but thats a ways away yet.
Your not pestering lol.They should fit perfectly together but we shall see since they are actually made to all work together. Here are some more parts I have.

Old 02-08-2014, 02:24 PM
Launching!

Another thing I just thought about is the oil pan. I am guessing with a 4.125 stroke I am either going to need to machine the oil pan for clearance or get an aftermarket one that is made to fit. In addition to clearance should I run more than 6qts with this size stroke especially if I get a larger oil pan?

Quick Reply: My build 396 cid on E85 w/ 14:1