Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stock head cam queston..

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2004, 07:28 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Default stock head cam queston..

O.K., I'm sure that this has been gone over before, but here goes, I am looking to put a cam in my car over the winter, I have already decided t go with a ported ls-6 oil pump, new timng chain, new pushrods and the strongest valve spring that I can get on the stock heads. My question is, how much cam can the stock heads actually handle(flow wise), and what is the deciding factor as to leave the stock rocker arms or replace? I am going to go with a 12 bolt unit with 3.90 gears because I do not want to have to shift into 5th at the track, and this is a stock internal motor, so I don't wanna be spinning it to the moon in 4th either. Also, what is the deciding factor for replacing the rocker arms, the car has about 14K on it now, and will have about 18 or so by the time of the install. If I am gonna replace the rockers, I would like to go to a good shaft mount style, will they fit under the stock valve covers, or do they have to be swapped out for something else (what?) and relocate the coil packs as well? I do want to keep the car emmissions friendly, so if there's any specific cam spec's that I want to definately aviod because of emmissions problems, I need to know that too. I aready have longtube headers and air intake all taken care of, unless there's fuel systm upgrades needed, so any info would be appreciated, as I have some time to properly research this.

Last edited by JL ws-6; 05-16-2004 at 07:35 AM.