Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with rocker arm install!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 12:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with rocker arm install!

So in the past month I have noticed a loud tick and with me being as I am I feared the worst and pulled my rockers and pushrods. I later noticed that my header bolts were backed out and we're leaking and I have replaced the gasket and torqued down my rocker arms to spec however I am hesitant to start it cause I'm doubting myself. My question is what should I double check to make sure the rockers are properly installed and should my springs compress a bit when torquing the rocker arm bolts sorry I'm such a noob lol
Old 07-25-2014, 02:54 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 00'TwistedLS1
So in the past month I have noticed a loud tick and with me being as I am I feared the worst and pulled my rockers and pushrods. I later noticed that my header bolts were backed out and we're leaking and I have replaced the gasket and torqued down my rocker arms to spec however I am hesitant to start it cause I'm doubting myself. My question is what should I double check to make sure the rockers are properly installed and should my springs compress a bit when torquing the rocker arm bolts sorry I'm such a noob lol
Make sure the rocker arm bolts are torqued down to 22 ftlbs. Some of the rocker arms will compress the springs it just depends on where the lifter is sitting on that particular cam lobe.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 07-26-2014, 07:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Here is the GM procedure. To find TDC on compression, rotate the motor and watch the cylinder #1 intake valve. When it opens then closes, it will be approximately 1/3 turn after it closes. You can use a straw to feel for the piston coming up to the top.

Old 07-26-2014, 09:39 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I followed the procedure and I'll i just think I was a little off of tdc. Can they be a little offset to the side of the stem of the valve?
Old 07-26-2014, 02:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There was another recent thread on this very question. Someone stated to hold them in the center while holding down. The person with the issue bought new GM rocker stands and that eliminated the issue.

Quick Reply: Help with rocker arm install!