Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Powerhouse Machine Shop in Ocala, FL messed up.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 12:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Powerhouse Machine Shop in Ocala, FL messed up.

So I take my LQ4 block to Powerhouse Machine Shop in Ocala, FL and told them to bore it .060 over. I get it back, measure it; and the results are as follows.

Bank 1
Cyl 1. - .068 over
Cyl 3. - .072 over
Cyl 5. - .064 over
Cyl 7. - .072 over

Bank 2
Cyl 2. - .060 over (got one right, good job)
Cyl 4. - .0695 over
Cyl 6. - .059 over
Cyl 8. - .070 over

Was this my fault or should I have specified to bore ALL cylinders .060 over?
Anyways what's done is done. I just need a GOOD machine shop to fix this. I'll have to go .070 obviously if possible (never really heard of it). Any helpful and insightful thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I'm willing to take my block to Orlando, Tampa, or Gainesville if possible.
Old 07-19-2014, 01:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I would say the real oddity here is someone actually checking local machineshop work to find out just how bad it is.
Old 07-19-2014, 01:19 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

I would expect most to be off a little... maybe .061 .060 .058 type of numbers but not off .012 or so. You may be able to get a matched piston set that could work. Most pistons are not exactly xx over either, which is why it's generally a good idea to have the pistons available for the machine shop to size the bores to the pistons.

You may be able to size the pistons to the bores, but it may carry a custom charge which would be about the same as just having it machined correctly.
Old 07-19-2014, 03:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You hear about this happening way too often. Just be glad you checked. If I'm ever in a situation like this, I'll be having some place like Tick Performance or Texas Speed take care of me.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:01 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
I would expect most to be off a little... maybe .061 .060 .058 type of numbers but not off .012 or so. You may be able to get a matched piston set that could work. Most pistons are not exactly xx over either, which is why it's generally a good idea to have the pistons available for the machine shop to size the bores to the pistons.

You may be able to size the pistons to the bores, but it may carry a custom charge which would be about the same as just having it machined correctly.
Have a perfectly good set of LS3 pistons that I took to them and told them to match. I measured the skirts and they're all at .060 +/- .001 (80K miles on them).

I'll do some research on what you're talking about with custom pistons but that sounds too expensive for me momentarily. I just hate not using these pistons on this build.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:40 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

I'd visit a junkyard and get another block. These engines are cheep as they came in millions of trucks.

Then take it to a different shop-and make sure they know you'll be checking their work.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you brought them the pistons they owe you a block. A stock ls3 piston is for a 4.065 bore and they should have matched it. Did they use a torque plate?
Old 07-20-2014, 11:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 904 Likes on 645 Posts

Have you talked to them about their work yet? I will bet they will be surprised that someone actually checked what they did. I have no idea what the tolerances are for boring a block but I highly doubt it's .012

IMO you shouldn't have to source another block and pay to have the work done again. I think it would be hard for them to dispute they messed up. The numbers are there.

This is different than someone assembling the engine themselves and then has problems. In that situation the machine shop has a way out saying they didn't assemble the engine and can place the blame somewhere else.

If anyone should source you a different block it's the machine shop.

Kuddo's to you for checking their work.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
Have you talked to them about their work yet? I will bet they will be surprised that someone actually checked what they did. I have no idea what the tolerances are for boring a block but I highly doubt it's .012

IMO you shouldn't have to source another block and pay to have the work done again. I think it would be hard for them to dispute they messed up. The numbers are there.

This is different than someone assembling the engine themselves and then has problems. In that situation the machine shop has a way out saying they didn't assemble the engine and can place the blame somewhere else.

If anyone should source you a different block it's the machine shop.

Kuddo's to you for checking their work.
I'm in communications (via facebook) with them now. I gave them the numbers. They said they'll handle this professionally and they don't know how this happened. Told them the only way to professionally handle this is with another block. They said to call on Monday... we'll see what happens.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Exclamation My $.02......

Originally Posted by MikeyC
I'm in communications (via facebook) with them now. I gave them the numbers. They said they'll handle this professionally and they don't know how this happened. Told them the only way to professionally handle this is with another block. They said to call on Monday... we'll see what happens.
You can bet they will want to do their own measuring. Be there and watch, while they do it...
Old 07-20-2014, 01:39 PM
Teching In

If your looking for reputable shop go to Koury Racing Engines in Deland. I've been around and know most of the shops in your area and Byron Koury is by far the best and only one I'd trust with my stuff!
Old 07-20-2014, 03:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
You can bet they will want to do their own measuring. Be there and watch, while they do it...
I'm definitely going to watch them. I worked in a machine shop (CNC) myself for two years. While the parts are different, the measuring technique isn't. I kind of hope I am measuring wrong (I seriously doubt it though). At least I won't have to go through the headache of correcting this entire issue.
Old 07-20-2014, 03:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 4WardInv
If your looking for reputable shop go to Koury Racing Engines in Deland. I've been around and know most of the shops in your area and Byron Koury is by far the best and only one I'd trust with my stuff!
I really appreciate the tip; Thanks... I'm definitely going to check them out.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MikeyC
I'm definitely going to watch them. I worked in a machine shop (CNC) myself for two years. While the parts are different, the measuring technique isn't. I kind of hope I am measuring wrong (I seriously doubt it though). At least I won't have to go through the headache of correcting this entire issue.
Which method are you using to measure the bore? Are you using a bore gauge or a telescoping gauge?
Old 07-26-2014, 03:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 904 Likes on 645 Posts

Any update on this?

Quick Reply: Powerhouse Machine Shop in Ocala, FL messed up.