Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heads/Cam HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 11:16 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heads/Cam HELP!!

Hey everyone just got my car to where I feel its ready for some Heads/Cam to make a fun little street car. I am thinking of doing 2.5 5.3l Heads and MS3 cam for texasspeed. My question is what all do I need. pushrod length, oil pump, fuel, supporting mods, etc... to make it a fun and reliable street car. I am very **** about my car and want to make sure I do it right so I can enjoy it for a long time. My list to date is as follows:

Suspension/steering: new rack and pinion, upper ball joints, tie rod ends, poly bushings in upper control arms, poly motor transmission and torque arm mounts, Strano lowering springs, Koni 4/4 adjustable shocks, Founders adjustable poly end panhard bar, poly sway bar bushings and end links (front and back)

Transmission: LS7 clutch, Tick adjustable master cylinder, AC Delco slave cylinder, Hurst t-handle shifter, ARP flywheel and pressure plate bolts, Tick remote speed bleeder, brass shifter bushing, and new pilot bearing, throw out bearing, rear main seal, and trans input shaft seals.

Motor: stock internals, K&N cai (just cleaned and re-oiled), egr/air delete, 1 3/4" stainless steel long tubes, catless y pipe, QTP electric cutout, stock axle back, all 3" exhaust, new fuel filter, newer o2 sensors

Rear: stock 3.42 gear 10 bolt, T/A Performance girdle, ARP carrier bearing stud kit, I just went through it myself and it's perfect, chrome 17" C6 Corvette wheels/almost new Nitto 555 tires

Thanks in advance
Zach
Old 08-20-2014, 06:14 PM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Some thoughts. Shim your springs to .050" before coil bind at max lift. Put the ls6 valley cover in to improve your pcv system. Especially if you notice your intake and heads are filthy like mine were. You didn't mention your intake. Assuming with all that work you've got a fast, ls6, or other improved intake over stock. Budget a few hundred for tuning. You could go to a thinner head gasket to increase compression. Every little bit helps.

You'll have to measure for pushrods fit.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm running those heads with a cam almost identical to the MS3. It's a good running combo IMO!
Old 08-23-2014, 11:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
Some thoughts. Shim your springs to .050" before coil bind at max lift. Put the ls6 valley cover in to improve your pcv system. Especially if you notice your intake and heads are filthy like mine were. You didn't mention your intake. Assuming with all that work you've got a fast, ls6, or other improved intake over stock. Budget a few hundred for tuning. You could go to a thinner head gasket to increase compression. Every little bit helps.

You'll have to measure for pushrods fit.
Excellent suggestion especially with the vey aggressive XE-R cam lobes.
IMO, I'd consider a quality Catch Can to be a better upgrade than the LS6 valley cover, which I found to be mostly a cosmetic upgrade.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

just call Texas Speed they will help you with any questions you mite have .I would upgrade the rocker arm bearings .you can get a mail order tune from Frost .

Quick Reply: Heads/Cam HELP!!