Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls7 heads on MID sleeved ls1 block with 4.155 bore??

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 12:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls7 heads on MID sleeved ls1 block with 4.155 bore??

Ok so Ive been reading a bunch on this site and others about the ls7 heads not working on ls1 blocks because of the bore, but my question is related to the valvetrain geometry as well as the push rod, lifter, rocker arm geometry of putting ls7 heads and intake manifold on an ls1 block with sleeves and a 4.155 bore.

What needs to be ran to make this setup work and is it even possible since my bore is in fact big enough now? seems like a great price since used ls7 heads go for under a grand used compared to other aftermarket heads. I've heard about problems with ls3 heads as well with the rockers being offset and that's another reason they won't just bolt on but I'm wondering if I can purchase proper valvetrain and lifters/push rods to make ls7 heads work on an ls1 block.

any help and insite is appreciated.
Old 12-07-2014, 07:28 PM
Teching In

I'm really surprised no one has posted any info on this?
Old 12-08-2014, 06:02 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Why put that kind of effort into an LS1 block?
Old 12-08-2014, 06:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Why put that kind of effort into an LS1 block?
Because an aluminum block with MID sleeves is significantly stronger and more reliable than any other aluminum block out there and gives you big bores. It's clearly not an LS1 block anymore.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:59 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by redtan
Because an aluminum block with MID sleeves is significantly stronger and more reliable than any other aluminum block out there and gives you big bores. It's clearly not an LS1 block anymore.

I asked Steve at RED about doing this to my LS6 block and he wasn't keen on it AT ALL for a street car.

I'd like to know why.

And yes, as long as you have the bore you can run whatever heads you choose, that fit that bore.
Old 12-08-2014, 12:52 PM
Teching In

I myself didn't pay for the sleeves I bought the block already done for a heck of a lot cheaper than it would cost to do it so that's why. Now I have much stronger sleeves and I'm not limited on heads or valve size. I personally wouldn't spend the money to have it done but I got a good enough price that it didn't make sense to buy an lsa or lsx block over this one.

I've also ran plenty of MID sleeved motors on the street with 0 issues so I wasn't afraid of this one
Old 12-08-2014, 03:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I asked Steve at RED about doing this to my LS6 block and he wasn't keen on it AT ALL for a street car.
Never heard of an issue with running these on the street, unless it was a wet sleeved block and it somehow impeded the cooling ability of the system and was not reliable day to day.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:46 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by redtan
Never heard of an issue with running these on the street, unless it was a wet sleeved block and it somehow impeded the cooling ability of the system and was not reliable day to day.
Ooooo... not afraid to admit when I'm mistaken and THAT is a high possibility.
Old 12-08-2014, 09:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by dr_whigham

I'd like to know why.

And yes, as long as you have the bore you can run whatever heads you choose, that fit that bore.
Thought I read somewhere that the LS 6 block is less desirable to sleeve than an LS 1,2, or 3 due to the lower end webbing having less strength. Larger ventilation (bay to bay) breathing for the higher strung ZO6. Remember most of GMs early testing was done with iron blocks as they were constantly exploding the aluminum ones due to the excessive inter bay pressure which was solved by the bulkhead vent holes.
Old 12-09-2014, 04:42 PM
Teching In

ok well I guess Ill start tracking down a set of ls7 heads for the new setup since nothing else comes close in flow for the price. It will be nice too because I can use a stock ls7 intake manifold

The main thing I was worried about is the rocker arm/lifter pushrod geometry
Old 03-06-2018, 10:31 PM
On The Tree

pettyboy69, any update on this effort, 4 years later?
Old 03-07-2018, 06:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by A.R. Shale Targa
Thought I read somewhere that the LS 6 block is less desirable to sleeve than an LS 1,2, or 3 due to the lower end webbing having less strength. Larger ventilation (bay to bay) breathing for the higher strung ZO6. Remember most of GMs early testing was done with iron blocks as they were constantly exploding the aluminum ones due to the excessive inter bay pressure which was solved by the bulkhead vent holes.
From memory of reading his older posts, I believe that (the LS6 bay windows) was why he didn't like to MID LS6 blocks but I thought he was content with LS1 blocks.

Whoops, just realized it was a 4 year old thread. But yeah I'd be interested to see how OP's build is holding up.

Quick Reply: ls7 heads on MID sleeved ls1 block with 4.155 bore??