Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I getting ripped off???!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 07:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Am I getting ripped off???!!

Ok LS1 guys and gals...I recently purchased a '64 Impala with an LS1 conversion ('02 5.7ltr) from a "reputable" classic car dealership. When it arrived, it was determined that there was 0 oil pressure. Never having worked on anything so new, I took it to a trusted dealership that explained the oil pump is not accessible with the motor in the car due to interference with the front crossmember. Additionally, they said the bearings were probably toasted as the engine was run for at least 10 minutes with no pressure by the guy taking my ride off the transport. Wow! So now I'm making payments on a classic car I've never driven that has made two trips up my driveway-both on the back of a tow vehicle. So long story short-do they really need to remove the motor to change the pump and bearings in this type of conversion or am I again being swindled? Help!
Old 01-29-2015, 07:45 AM
On The Tree

First you need to verify that there is actually no oil pressure. Did they run a mechanical gauge to check it? It could be a bad sending unit, gauge, etc. I imagine if the engine had 0 oil pressure and ran for 10 minutes the engine would have seized.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Agreed. How was it "determined" that there was zero oil pressure? A motor will not run long without oil before seizing. I know from a couple of experiences.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:49 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 99z28383
First you need to verify that there is actually no oil pressure. Did they run a mechanical gauge to check it? It could be a bad sending unit, gauge, etc. I imagine if the engine had 0 oil pressure and ran for 10 minutes the engine would have seized.

That's what im thinking. ^^^

Usually you can get the oil pump off *** its under the timing cover. Pics off the front off the engine in the car will tell us if its possible or not. Others and myself have done them in F bodys a few times. The pickup tube bolt is not really fun to get on and off but its has and can be done. Now bearings id pull the engine. If the bearings are shot the crank may be to.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:59 AM

The pressure was verified using a mechanical gauge by myself and the tech at the dealership. Digital gauge in the car is functional so the pressure is definitely 0.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:08 AM
On The Tree

If there is indeed zero oil pressure, send the car back to where you bought it from and get your money back. If they refuse - take them to court.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:12 AM

Working on that as we speak. Of course they put it through the wonderful "30 point checklist prior to delivery." The checklist stated oil pressure was fine. Car arrived with dead battery and no functioning gauges. Got everything working but the oil pressure gauge only to find out it was literally the pressure itself and the gauge was always fine. My dream of having a vintage car with a modern engine has been a nightmare-should have just done all the work myself! Damn dealerships!
Old 01-29-2015, 08:23 AM
On The Tree

Yep, sounds like they are trying to **** you. Either have them replace the engine with a new or rebuilt LS, or get your money back. Just don't back down and they'll give you what you want.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:26 AM
On The Tree

First contact the dealer that sold you the car, if the car as sold as running
they should cover the cost. Don't do anything until you talk to them. If you start the repair they may say you took it apon yourself without them have
a chance to veirify the problem .
Old 01-29-2015, 08:38 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd verify 0 oil pressure (as others said) before going back to the dealer and getting into a pissing match. If there is in fact 0 oil pressure, then yea.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:10 AM

Great advice guys, thanks so much!!! Hope some day to have that Impala LS1 conversion...oh what a ride it would be!!
Old 01-29-2015, 11:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

How was it shipped? Quite possible some one drove it while it was in shipment? What company did you purchase this through? I seriously doubt ANY company would sell a car like this with no oil pressure. I'd bet some kind of monkey business went on while it was being shipped. Do you have pictures under the hood before it was shipped? Look like anything was changed or replaced since it was shipped?
Old 01-29-2015, 11:55 AM

I used the shipper arranged by the seller since they were literally the cheapest. The dealer sent a really nice pre-shipping video of the car running, etc and has been contacted in regard to this problem. So far they are co-operating and hopefully make things right. Sadly, the shipper dropped the car at my home while I was at work so God only knows what kind of shenanigans took place. They called 15 minutes before delivery to say they were on the way- I work an hour from home so you can see the dilemma. Keeping my fingers crossed Classic Car Liquidators makes it right. So for so good tho!
Old 01-29-2015, 12:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Well if the vid shows oil pressure just before it was put on the trailer you KNOW there was hanky panky that went on. I know a used car dealer that would steal engines out of insurance tow in's.............................I guess he had a deal with the driver.

I doubt the seller did anything wrong, I'm sure they will make it right. No company would toss their reputation out the door over a single sale.

Personally I would have refused the car UNTIL it was inspected as it came off the trailer!

I worked for a dealer long long time ago when the world was actually normal. You can't imagine what those delivery drivers did to any Camaro Z28 Chevelle SS Corvette, I seen a brand new 78 Z28 backed off the trailer then had the tires smoked until they were almost bald! <no BS We all just stood there watching. Guy was reported but nothing was done about it. Car was sold NEW with worn back tires.

Last edited by RockinWs6; 01-29-2015 at 12:35 PM.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:23 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

I would definitely work with the dealership you bought the car through before I did any work on it. You're just screwing yourself out of a repair if you do that.

I would be inclined to think if it was working beforehand and now isn't, that the delivery driver might have had a little fun and spun a bearing or something. Any neighbors around to testify about how it was unloaded?
Old 01-29-2015, 04:01 PM

Sadly I'm a country boy with neighbors a 1/4 mile away so I was at the mercy of the delivery company. Lessons learned huh? I know I will take the entire day off work the next time a car is delivered to the compound.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:23 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

I can only say that I hope this doesn't sour you on having a nice hotrod or vintage car. Good luck going after the seller and/or shipper.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You might could work out a deal with the seller to refund part of the purchase price. Keep your dream car and have enough $$$ to replace the bad engine. If you're not overly concerned about power, you can find good running LS truck motors for < $1500...
Old 01-30-2015, 07:55 AM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Originally Posted by squidlong
Working on that as we speak. Of course they put it through the wonderful "30 point checklist prior to delivery." The checklist stated oil pressure was fine. Car arrived with dead battery and no functioning gauges. Got everything working but the oil pressure gauge only to find out it was literally the pressure itself and the gauge was always fine. My dream of having a vintage car with a modern engine has been a nightmare-should have just done all the work myself! Damn dealerships!
lots of localities have lemon laws. It may be worth your time to speak to a lawyer if the dealership won't cooperate. Many businesses back down from the threat of a lawsuit, because they are expensive to fight and the publicity is way worse.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:07 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
lots of localities have lemon laws. It may be worth your time to speak to a lawyer if the dealership won't cooperate. Many businesses back down from the threat of a lawsuit, because they are expensive to fight and the publicity is way worse.
I would seriously consider talking to a lawyer as Darth_V8r mentioned. There should be no reason for the car to leave in one condition and arrive in a completely different state unless the shipper had something to do with it. Either case is not your problem. Talk to the dealership to get a gauge on how willing they will be to help remedy the problem and also speak to a lawyer to protect yourself. Finding another motor wouldn't be hard but i'm sure if you wanted to have to do the work or have it done you wouldn't have went this route. Hope everything works out for you.

Quick Reply: Am I getting ripped off???!!