Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What kit to buy for degreeing your Gen III LSx?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 12:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What kit to buy for degreeing your Gen III LSx?

The title pretty much says it all, "What kit to buy for degreeing your Gen III LSx?"

So it's time to degree my TSP Torquer V3 camshaft and I'm looking to buy a camshaft degreeing kit. Obviously there are a lot of kits out there. I've limited my selection down to 2
- Comp Cams part # 249-4942
- Jegs Universal kit part # 555-81621 (I'm leaning towards this kit, but unsure if it will work)

Screening criteria is: price, flexibility (degree heads on or off), durability.

Does anyone have horry or success stories with specific types of degreeing camshaft kits for their Gen III LSx motor?
Old 06-29-2015, 03:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Make sure you have a bushing for the M16 crank bolt, and pretty much any generic kit will work. 99% of the LS heads are aluminum so the magnetic base is pretty useless for mounting the dial indicator regardless of which kit you get.

Here is what my "kit" is:
1) A Summit brand generic degree wheel, which I have used for 25 years on small block Fords
2) A 5/8" degree wheel bushing
3) An OEM M16 crank bolt which has had the shank ground down using a drill press and sandpaper so the 5/8" SBF wheel bushing would fit
4) A custom fabricated piston stop made out of an old bolt and an old spark plug threaded body
5) A generic magnetic base and .001" indicator (the indicator is the most expensive part of the "kit")
6) a piece of PVC tube and a piece of welding rod to use as a pointer, bolted to the front cover bolt hole, using an AC compressor mount bolt

I used an old piece of angle steel trapped between a header flange and the head to attach the magnetic base.

It's not rocket science.

Some pictures located here:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-1998-cam.html
Old 06-29-2015, 04:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am going to purchase the Comp Cams kit for myself.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:56 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by usdmholden
Make sure you have a bushing for the M16 crank bolt, and pretty much any generic kit will work. 99% of the LS heads are aluminum so the magnetic base is pretty useless for mounting the dial indicator regardless of which kit you get.

Here is what my "kit" is:
1) A Summit brand generic degree wheel, which I have used for 25 years on small block Fords
2) A 5/8" degree wheel bushing
3) An OEM M16 crank bolt which has had the shank ground down using a drill press and sandpaper so the 5/8" SBF wheel bushing would fit
4) A custom fabricated piston stop made out of an old bolt and an old spark plug threaded body
5) A generic magnetic base and .001" indicator (the indicator is the most expensive part of the "kit")
6) a piece of PVC tube and a piece of welding rod to use as a pointer, bolted to the front cover bolt hole, using an AC compressor mount bolt

I used an old piece of angle steel trapped between a header flange and the head to attach the magnetic base.

It's not rocket science.

Some pictures located here:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-1998-cam.html
So I know it isn't rocket science, but I have limited access to scrap metal, welding, etc.. I'm a guy with a simple garage really, but I do appreciate your innovations I might be able to put them to good use!
Old 06-29-2015, 08:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use a late 60's wheel that was passed down harbor freight dial indicator and a coat hangar for a pointer. Don't have a piston stop I do it with the heads off so I just use the dial indicator.

Nothing specific about my setup.

Tim

Quick Reply: What kit to buy for degreeing your Gen III LSx?