Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EPIC Low Oil pressure Hunt 2 - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 08:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EPIC Low Oil pressure Hunt 2 - HELP!

Alright guys, this is turning into a real pain. I've been trying to hunt down this low oil pressure problem for weeks now. Cold oil pressure is around 55 psi. Warm drops the pressure drastically. I have chased almost every possible cause with no help. EXAMPLE. After I thought I had the problem solved I installed the motor again (Its back out now) Cold idle 55 psi. after 10 minutes of idle the pressure was down to 21 psi. I drained some oil and checked the temperature of the oil. The temperature was around 120 F. Not nearly high enough to see a drop like that IMO. If it would've continued to warm up its definitely would keep dropping.
Also I have changed weights of oil multiple times. with 15w40 It will ride at 15 psi HOT. With 5W30 it gets as low as 5 psi. Way too low for me to be comfortable with. it should definitely be higher with 15w40.

The engine is a fresh rebuild, with only a few thousand miles. I recently installed a new turbo setup when the motor went in. I assumed I was seeing lower oil pressure due to elevated oil temps but this isn't he case. I have been chasing my tail on this for awhile now. I need a little help, here is what I've done so far.

Replaced oil pump with melling standard volume high pressure a little boost but not much help. I also threw in another ls6 oil pump I had sitting around just to reassure myself - no help. I also verified the pickup tube is clean and has nothing in it, or blocking it.

Checked O-Ring multiple times this IS NOT the problem. Tried dealership one, and ones delivered with melling pump.

Check main and rod bearing clearance with plastigage. Mains came in around .002 to .003. rods a little more tight. .0015 to .002. Bearings looked great. Of course with only a few thousand miles they should.

Every galley plug is in, barbell plug is in, changed rear gasket, changed cam plate with a new gasket. Nothing is helping.

I have looked at all my cam bearings and they don't look bad. (When I installed the cam after about 100 miles I changed the oil and found "stripper glitter" in it for a few oil changes probably 500 miles total. But the bearings do not look worn and are properly installed I looked at the cam bearings with a borescope and they were all centered like they should be. A few marks where I installed and removed the cam several times. Nothing that will catch a fingernail though. Possible maybe too much material is gone from them? They look great to me.

The lifters do have some "slop" in them. They will not stay up in the trays at all. Is it possible these are bleeding too much oil off?

I feel like Ive checked almost every possible thing but I've got to be missing something. Someone help me out, getting tired of chasing this. I can supply pictures of whatever anyone wants to look at.

Last edited by J0SH; 07-01-2015 at 10:36 PM.
Old 07-02-2015, 05:41 AM
Teching In

LS1Tech 10 Year

oil intake sucking something in after a few minutes running and then it moves back into the oil pan with the engine stopped?
Faulty oil pressure gauge and/or sender
Old 07-02-2015, 06:41 AM
Teching In

I should've noted. When motor was rebuilt a new sending unit was installed. I have also replaced it again thinking it was bad. Oil pressure has been verified with a mechanical gauge also.
Old 07-02-2015, 07:39 AM
TECH Resident

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

What lifters were used? In the past I have built a temporary oil reservoir and mounted to the pressure sender orifice to prime the motor. I discovered the oil galley freeze plug in front was leaky. Probably not 30 psi leaky but leaky none the less. Did you follow the oil galleys and check for cracks?
Old 07-02-2015, 07:43 AM
Teching In

Ls7 lifters, I shined a light in the galleys but nothing caught my eye. I'll put the borescope down them though and see if I can find anything.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:32 AM
TECH Resident

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I see you checked the cam bearings already. I know that a walking cam bearing has caused this exact issue in the past. Especially at the rear. May be worth a 2nd look. Also may be worth double checking the barbell o-ring and barbell depth as well. I'll try to think of some other possibilities.
Old 07-02-2015, 12:43 PM
Teching In

Cam bearings are all centered in the bores and the oil holes are all lined up. None have moved and look to be properly installed in the middle. As far as the barbell goes it is in place. This last time pulling off the rear cover I was able to push it in further just a hair. It could've been leaking but I don't thing it could leak that much. It has the o ring and everything in place just wasn't quite flush. I'm not thinking it's the problem
Old 07-02-2015, 01:43 PM

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,152 Posts

Pressure relief valve sticking open? Malfunction of the bypass valve in the filter housing?
Old 07-02-2015, 01:46 PM
Teching In

Pressure relief valve in the oil pump is fine. The Melling was slightly scuffed. One reason why I threw in an extra oil pump. No help. As far as the filter bypass it feels fine. I'm not sure that could cause a low oil pressure problem, but I could be wrong
Old 07-02-2015, 11:33 PM
TECH Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
Pressure relief valve sticking open? Malfunction of the bypass valve in the filter housing?
You mean the ls1 cars have the bypass in the filter housing too? I know the 3.8 fbodies had that valve go bad and ruin the engine.could this happen on the ls1 too?
Old 07-03-2015, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by warriorpluto
You mean the ls1 cars have the bypass in the filter housing too? I know the 3.8 fbodies had that valve go bad and ruin the engine.could this happen on the ls1 too?
yes the ls1 has it too. All engines do I think. It's a fail safe if the filter plugs up. Josh, it's not likely to cause low pressure but since you've covered the usual items I tried to think of an unusual item
Old 07-03-2015, 06:44 PM
Teching In

LQ4 Overhaul manual states 6 PSI is the min at hot idle. You may be just fine, just different than you are used to perhaps? I'm sure you can look it up for your specific engine as well.
Old 07-03-2015, 11:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

what kind of PCV system are you running?? and do you have a catch can at all?
Old 07-04-2015, 03:22 AM

I have also replaced it again thinking it was bad.
Old 07-04-2015, 06:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by chevy1224
LQ4 Overhaul manual states 6 PSI is the min at hot idle. You may be just fine, just different than you are used to perhaps? I'm sure you can look it up for your specific engine as well.
Technically he'd probably be fine, but something isn't right here. I've never had an LS that didn't produce good oil pressure. Hell my 160k mile LS1 still cranks out 35-40 psi hot.
Old 07-05-2015, 02:12 AM
Teching In

I can't live with the 6 psi at hot idle. My personality just won't work with that, and something is going on its not right.. The car has no pcv system. The block is all vented through filters so no vacuum on the crankcase at all. I was having problems pushing out oil under high boost so I did away with it
Old 07-05-2015, 06:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

How are you measuring the oil pressure? Did you replace the cam retainer plate?
Old 07-05-2015, 11:41 AM
Teching In

Retaining plate has been changed with the summit version. Measuring with mechanical and oem oil pressure sensing unit. Both match.
Old 07-05-2015, 11:46 AM

Have you replaced the entire pick up tube? I know it seems silly, but compare it to having a hole in your straw while drinking a side at McDonald's. You get less soda due to sucking up air. There might be a hole like a bad solder joint near the bottom of the tube. As long as the hole is submerged (cold start) you get good pressure. When the oil level drops, the hole gets exposed, leaking in a bunch of air and almost acting like its losing its prime.

A bit out there I know but you've checked the normal stuff.
Old 07-05-2015, 12:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

which O ring are you using on the oil pump, there are 3 different ones and that can make a huge difference if using the wrong one.

Quick Reply: EPIC Low Oil pressure Hunt 2 - HELP!