Sponsored by:

Need some help from those that know

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 05:06 PM
vht
TECH Apprentice

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Need some help from those that know

I've got a 72 chevelle with a 434 sbc, it's got Dart 230 heads, super victor, QF 850 Q series, bullet solid roller. Runs pretty strong for being in a heavy car. I'm also building a gasser, and was thinking of using it and changing to a tunnel ram for a street and strip deal. I bought a 06, 6.0 out of a chevy truck that is extremely clean. I pulled it down and it looks brand new inside. Truck was a dash fire, so no mileage. I was thinking of going on and putting this in the chevelle but have questions. I'll use the 850 carb, port the 317 heads, MSD 6012. What is a decent priced set of headers, cam recommendation, and any other suggestions you all may have? I have motor mount adapters, the car has 3 in exh and 3.55 gears now. I would reassemble the engine with new head bolts, gaskets and timing chain. If I go this route, there will be a turbo down the road. Just want a pretty stout cruiser right now so I can finish my gasser project. Also, what oil pan will work? I'm going to notch and box the cross member to give me some added room. The car is at stk height but I think the trk pan sump will hang to low. Sorry so long, but just wanted to see what I'm getting into. I should mention I have a built 350 turbo and will purchase a converter matched to the combo.
Old 04-10-2016, 08:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vht
I've got a 72 chevelle with a 434 sbc, it's got Dart 230 heads, super victor, QF 850 Q series, bullet solid roller. Runs pretty strong for being in a heavy car. I'm also building a gasser, and was thinking of using it and changing to a tunnel ram for a street and strip deal. I bought a 06, 6.0 out of a chevy truck that is extremely clean. I pulled it down and it looks brand new inside. Truck was a dash fire, so no mileage. I was thinking of going on and putting this in the chevelle but have questions. I'll use the 850 carb, port the 317 heads, MSD 6012. What is a decent priced set of headers, cam recommendation, and any other suggestions you all may have? I have motor mount adapters, the car has 3 in exh and 3.55 gears now. I would reassemble the engine with new head bolts, gaskets and timing chain. If I go this route, there will be a turbo down the road. Just want a pretty stout cruiser right now so I can finish my gasser project. Also, what oil pan will work? I'm going to notch and box the cross member to give me some added room. The car is at stk height but I think the trk pan sump will hang to low. Sorry so long, but just wanted to see what I'm getting into. I should mention I have a built 350 turbo and will purchase a converter matched to the combo.
Right now I'm running a 6.0 lq4 carbed in my 72. I went carbed because I just prefer them. As far as the own the truck one hangs very low I grabbed a hot rod conversion pan they run $150 on eBay and kegs. Headers I got some full length stainless headers on amazon with 3" collectors. And the 1" setback plates for the use of my 350 trans. I'm running a 750 carb anything lower than that engine felt starved. The msd box is nice to be able to control timing with out the hassle of paying some one everytime. Starts first key turn every time like a fuel injected set up.

Quick Reply: Need some help from those that know