Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T-Rex v.2 Install Results

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 08:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs up T-Rex v.2 Install Results

First, I have to thank SS Rally Red and his crew for doing an excellent job doing the install. I was impressed with their attention to detail throughout the process.
Once we got to the point of adding coolant we hit the key and instantly it fired up and found its idle within seconds. We let it idle about 20 minutes while we filled the coolant, ensuring all of the air was out of the system. When we got everything topped off, I drove the car home which is about 20 miles from the shop last night. It was through some stop and go traffic and interstate driving with not any major drivability issues. I tried to make it surge in 6th on the interstate @ around 50-55 miles an hour with no problems with the stock tune. You will definitely notice abnormalities in the throttle response in the lower RPM range around 1000-1800 RPM but once you get passed those RPM's it starts pulling you back in your seat fast. I haven't yet got on it past about 4500 RPM's as I want everything to go through a few heat cycles first on the valve train before I really test it out.

Today I drove it to work in VERY heavy traffic on 85 down from Gwinnett to Downtown about 16 miles, and it had the same drivability characteristics of my stock cam but it took a little more RPM's to get it going from a stop. It is nothing I cannot tune out as I had WAY more drivability issues with my cam in my 94 A4. The cam in my 94 would surge, the engine would buck when you pressed the gas at low RPM's, had hesitation but I almost all of that through much tuning.

Now I am in the closed loop tuning phase until I order TechEdge's 2BO wideband system. Then I will be able to do WOT tuning and get it really dialed in all the way through the RPM range. I have my old dyno numbers so whenever I get it tuned correctly I will be able to overlay the new setup and see the difference.

Last edited by monodax; 06-23-2004 at 08:29 PM.
Old 06-23-2004, 09:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Thanks for the kind words James, your car definetly sounds sick let me know when you head to the dyno with it, I am interested to see how it does, hats off to Thunder Racing, I still cannot believe how that thing found its idle right away and never stalled or surged at all on initial start up .Ken
Old 06-23-2004, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

and looks sick from those pics in your banner!
Old 06-23-2004, 10:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah...now im jealous on how it sounds....

We're glad you liked it and attention to detail is nothing special....just how we are. That dot-to-dot drives me crazy
Old 06-23-2004, 10:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Yeah...that thing sounds NASTY....

I still dont believe it found its idle so fast.....that was amazing....

Thanks def go out to Thunder for a kick *** cam....
Old 06-24-2004, 12:21 AM
Launching!

Did you have any P/V clearance problems at all? My wife is considering going with this cam. At the moment she has stock heads, although we are considering the PP Stage 2 LQ9 heads.
Old 06-24-2004, 12:27 AM
TECH Veteran

glad to see you enjoying it, i love mine
now go give it some gas and hold on
Old 06-24-2004, 07:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BriGuy
Did you have any P/V clearance problems at all? My wife is considering going with this cam. At the moment she has stock heads, although we are considering the PP Stage 2 LQ9 heads.
No PTV issues at all and he is also on stock heads. Fit like a glove.
Old 06-24-2004, 08:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Do you have the contact info on the TechEdge's 2BO wideband system

Thx
Old 06-24-2004, 09:56 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Bryan Wilkinson
Do you have the contact info on the TechEdge's 2BO wideband system

Thx
I just PM'd you with the info since they are not a sponser.
Old 06-24-2004, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by monodax
First, I have to thank SS Rally Red and his crew for doing an excellent job doing the install. I was impressed with their attention to detail throughout the process.
Once we got to the point of adding coolant we hit the key and instantly it fired up and found its idle within seconds. We let it idle about 20 minutes while we filled the coolant, ensuring all of the air was out of the system. When we got everything topped off, I drove the car home which is about 20 miles from the shop last night. It was through some stop and go traffic and interstate driving with not any major drivability issues. I tried to make it surge in 6th on the interstate @ around 50-55 miles an hour with no problems with the stock tune. You will definitely notice abnormalities in the throttle response in the lower RPM range around 1000-1800 RPM but once you get passed those RPM's it starts pulling you back in your seat fast. I haven't yet got on it past about 4500 RPM's as I want everything to go through a few heat cycles first on the valve train before I really test it out.

Today I drove it to work in VERY heavy traffic on 85 down from Gwinnett to Downtown about 16 miles, and it had the same drivability characteristics of my stock cam but it took a little more RPM's to get it going from a stop. It is nothing I cannot tune out as I had WAY more drivability issues with my cam in my 94 A4. The cam in my 94 would surge, the engine would buck when you pressed the gas at low RPM's, had hesitation but I almost all of that through much tuning.

Now I am in the closed loop tuning phase until I order TechEdge's 2BO wideband system. Then I will be able to do WOT tuning and get it really dialed in all the way through the RPM range. I have my old dyno numbers so whenever I get it tuned correctly I will be able to overlay the new setup and see the difference.

Congrats on the setup! I was curious as to what gear ratio you are running right now.
Old 06-24-2004, 11:58 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by WS-Sick
Congrats on the setup! I was curious as to what gear ratio you are running right now.
I have the stock 3.42 gear that comes standard with the M6. I am upgrading it but I am debating on whether to upgrade the hole rear end to a 12 bolt and 4.56 or just do a gear upgrade for now.
Old 06-24-2004, 12:01 PM
TECH Veteran

I have the stock 3.42 gear that comes standard with the M6. I am upgrading it but I am debating on whether to upgrade the hole rear end to a 12 bolt and 4.56 or just do a gear upgrade for now.
unless you are running stock rubber i would not even consider putting a smaller ring and pinion gear in a stock 10bolt, you have to much power unless you drive like a pawpaw. which i doubt with that cam.
Old 06-24-2004, 01:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SMOKIN01TA
unless you are running stock rubber i would not even consider putting a smaller ring and pinion gear in a stock 10bolt, you have to much power unless you drive like a pawpaw. which i doubt with that cam.

Especially with that cam I wouldn't do anything with the stock rear end... time to go straight to the 12 bolt/9 inch, do not pass go, do not collect $200.
Old 06-24-2004, 05:23 PM
TECH Resident

Location: Who said you were allowed to post in The ATLANTA SECTION?

dam!!!!

yeah 12 bolt/9 inch is a good idea other wise ur rear will will look like this