Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Set my preload with comp r's but ????

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2004, 01:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Set my preload with comp r's but ????

Ok so i installed my new Harland Sharps with comp r's today. we used a dial indicator to start with NO shims. After ZERO lash we had .082 preload so i added a .020 & .045 together and all seamed well, but now i'm not sure cause we cranked the motor over with no plug's in it till oil came out of the pushrods. Now we see that from the Rocker arm to the top of the valve has about .007-.008 play WHY??? and will i get more lifter preload with a hot motor. I was thinking about removing the .020 shim but i'm not sure <<Thanks Shawn
Old 07-18-2004, 02:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

PM'd you earlier. 2 ways about comp "R" preload and rockers.

1- you use adjustables
2- If you use non adjustables you would have to do some serious calculations and find out what the right length p-rod is to be used, then have them custom made for you.

PM Unaffiliated Racing, he works for Comp and can tell you about it all.

I want to use harlands too, but if i mill my AFR's I would have to find an adjustable substitute or stick with the unmilled heads.
Old 07-18-2004, 09:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
PM'd you earlier. 2 ways about comp "R" preload and rockers.

1- you use adjustables
2- If you use non adjustables you would have to do some serious calculations and find out what the right length p-rod is to be used, then have them custom made for you.

PM Unaffiliated Racing, he works for Comp and can tell you about it all.

I want to use harlands too, but if i mill my AFR's I would have to find an adjustable substitute or stick with the unmilled heads.
Why use a different pushrod when all you have to do is use a shim? My heads are not milled and i tried to buy adjustable rockers but the 4 places i called all talked me out of it! I did a little research and found that you are only supposed to check the preload when the motor is warm
Old 07-18-2004, 09:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Because not all lifters preload the same. (more like a tiny range)

Here read these threads maybe they will help

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/144569-help-where-can-i-find-rocker-shims-get-my-comp-r-lifter-preload-right.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/183671-comp-r-lifters-fail-pics-what-would-cause.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/137357-anyone-comp-r-lifter-noise.html

Last edited by PREDATOR-Z; 07-18-2004 at 10:18 AM.
Old 07-18-2004, 03:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LG motorsports tec line told me to just bolt down the rockers to 22lbs and thats it. i have comp r's and stock rockers,i told LG and they still said just bolt them to 22lbs. so...i never even checked preload. LG said too many people make a big deal out of nothing. my car runs great made power to 6,600.
Old 07-18-2004, 04:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mike c.
LG motorsports tec line told me to just bolt down the rockers to 22lbs and thats it. i have comp r's and stock rockers,i told LG and they still said just bolt them to 22lbs. so...i never even checked preload. LG said too many people make a big deal out of nothing. my car runs great made power to 6,600.
I do not think that this is a good idea I went to yahoo and then typed in lifter preload and found some good info www.grudgeracing.com/lifter_preload.htm - 15k - Cached Check it out and tell me what you guys think!!!