Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

squeek in valve train, time to get it fixed

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2004, 10:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default squeek in valve train, time to get it fixed

I've been putting this off and i cant take this sound anymore. Its definately coming from the valve train. I've had a few mechanics look at it and they really aren't sure what it is. When i did my cam swap, the rocker arms, push rods, stock springs and retainers seemed tob e in very good shape. as were the new parts i put in (obviously since they were new). but the squeek didnt go away. So im leaning towards this either being a collapsed lifter, OR perhaps piston slap. I do need a tune after the cam install cause its obvious im running rich right now.

My question is, my funds ar elimited to install the lifters so i will have to do this with some local guys' help. thus far my list of parts includes a new set of oem replacement lifters, head gaskets and i guess i gotta get bolts...would i be ok if i got low mileage lifters from someone who did a cam swap? only reason i ask is it would save me money now, but if it would be better just to get new ones id probably just live with the squeek for another month or so till i can get the good stuff. but the only issue is exactly that, id have to wait a little longer.

there doesnt seem to be much loss in power as when i put in the cam, it definately pulls a hell of a lot harder, i proved this with running some friends of mine who used to be slightly faster than me, and i was able to walk them now pretty well. I always thought that if i lifter was bad id have a major power loss and id throw codes, which neither has happened (yet).

ideas opinions...suggestions, please.
Travis