Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clicking Motor (Oil? Rockers? Lifters?) HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2004, 11:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clicking Motor (Oil? Rockers? Lifters?) HELP!!

I just got my 370ci Iron block in the car 1100mi. ago. It ran great, and now i put the cutout on and I can hear the motor a little better. Something is clicking. I pulled valve covers and made sure the rockers are tight. and they are. I have the Harlan Sharp Rockers. So I have a few questions. How would I be able to tell if a lifter went? Would the oil I am running have anything to do with it because of weight? like 5-30 vs 10-50 ya know? What would you use in a 370 Iron Block?
Any help or sugestions would be great, THANKS in advance!!!
Old 10-19-2004, 11:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Use a stethoscope - or a screwdriver to check each rocker for noise. Pull the valve cover, touch the screwdriver to the rocker bolt, and press your ear against the other end of the screwdriver. If it is a lifter or rocker, you'll be able to pinpoint which one this way. A stethoscope is easier with these cars, because the back ones a really tough with a screwdriver. You can pick one up at most auto parts stores.
Old 10-20-2004, 09:36 AM
11 Second Club

So you just press the stethoscope to the rocker bolt? I would assume w/ the car on to hear it yes? Never had an issue like the, just a little more input!?
Also if anyone else has any ideas, let me know THANKS
Old 10-20-2004, 01:20 PM
10 Second Club

My valve train made more noise before I installed the HS rockers. And when I changed over to synth oil it got quieter too. (better hydraulic properties) But these lifters just seem to make noise. I have one on cly #2 that has ALWAYS made more noise that the rest. It did when I bought the car, and it does now @ 40k. And I swear that after headers it sounds like I have a bent exhaust valve. But I ran a compression check & all were the same.

I guess I haven't helped you much huh?
Old 10-20-2004, 01:51 PM
11 Second Club

Anyone else have any sugestions on this topic.

Also on what OIL to run Thanks for the INFO