Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do Ls1 Burn Oil ???

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 12:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do Ls1 Burn Oil ???

Alright, I have a 2001 WS6. Got it the beginning of June and it hasnt had any problems except for losing oil (NOT LEAKING EITHER, GASKETS ARE GOOD). I have taken it in to the dealership (extended warranty !) 4 times since june 1. with about 6,000 miles I have put on it since I bought it (35,500 total). Used to be synthetic oil, but now regular.

My question is, everytime I take it in, THEY SAY THIS IS NORMAL FOR AN LS1 TO BURN THIS MUCH OIL. IS THIS TRUE ? (i highly doubt it myself.)]
Old 11-15-2004, 12:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Aggie01WS6
Alright, I have a 2001 WS6. Got it the beginning of June and it hasnt had any problems except for losing oil (NOT LEAKING EITHER, GASKETS ARE GOOD). I have taken it in to the dealership (extended warranty !) 4 times since june 1. with about 6,000 miles I have put on it since I bought it (35,500 total). Used to be synthetic oil, but now regular.

My question is, everytime I take it in, THEY SAY THIS IS NORMAL FOR AN LS1 TO BURN THIS MUCH OIL. IS THIS TRUE ? (i highly doubt it myself.)]
Well you didn't say HOW much oil but yep most do. There are two sources of this oil burning on many 2001s.

1) Piston rings: GM DOES have an upgraded set of piston rings but you need to do a "oil consumption" test which I believe needs to exceed 1 quart in 1000 miles for GM to fix it under warrenty. (Can someone confirm that number?)

2) PCV system sucks up some oil and returns it into the throttle body which then gets adds it to the intake air charge. Some people have added catch cans to their PCV system to trap that oil. Others have gone to the '03 or '04 PCV system which is supposed to eliminate the problem. In the first case (catch can) the oil consumption will not stop but you will catch it before it makes it into the engine to be burned. That will help stop the carbon buildup from the oil. The second system has gotten mixed reviews as to how well it actually works.

So the bad news.... yes most '01s burn oil. How much will depend.

If your burning crazy amounts GM can replace the piston rings to help it but you need to exceed GMs "limits" to get this done under warrenty.

--Bill
Old 11-15-2004, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

well the fact that you went to regular oil after using syn is not a good thing either.
Old 11-15-2004, 04:36 PM
12 Second Club

I have a 2000 and mine uses oil. From what I've heard from most owners, it's a common problem. A bit of oil loss from your ls1 shouldn't be anything to worry about too much.
Old 11-15-2004, 08:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Search is your friend here! There are quite a few threads about ls1 oil consumption. Mine used to consume 1qt ever 100 (yeah one hundred) miles or so.
Old 11-15-2004, 10:51 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Aggie01WS6

Some ls1s used oil, I wouldn't say burn. I got a 2000 that uses barely any oil. then I had a 98 that used a quart after 10 runs down the quarter!, it ran damm good though, I also hated when people said. Every ls1 is different just check your oil weekly or when racing.
Old 11-16-2004, 04:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 2001s and 2002s seem to burn more oil than the earlier ones.

My 98 uses no oil at all, the dipstick level did not move in my last 5000 mile interval. And the same thing used to happen with the 98 Formula I used to own. Even with hard driving the oil level stayed constant.
Old 11-16-2004, 06:17 AM
On The Tree

so does mine one qt about every 600 miles. never had any problems yet.
Old 11-16-2004, 06:31 AM
12 Second Club

Default Does a bear **** in the woods?

Yeah, most do. I'm kinda lucky cause mine shows no consumption, but I've got friends that do the 1,500mi top-off...

Well, I don't really have anything new to tell you that these guys didn't already, but here's my 2 cents:
If you really want to do something about it, see if you can't get those rings replaced. If your dealership won't do it, try around some other ones. If you're still warrantee, that's your cheapest option. If you want to start smaller first, buy a catch-can and try that.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TAQuickness
Search is your friend here! There are quite a few threads about ls1 oil consumption. Mine used to consume 1qt ever 100 (yeah one hundred) miles or so.
ddaaaaammnmmmnnnn o man and i thought i had it bad.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:48 AM
TECH Resident

We do rings on one or two LS-1s a week in our shop. I never really pay much attention to "oil consumption" tests in my shop.....at least on LS-1s, we know they go through oil and engineering didn't come out with Technical Bulletins and revised parts just for drill anyway. See your local dealer.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:52 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bletour2001
Well you didn't say HOW much oil but yep most do. There are two sources of this oil burning on many 2001s.

1) Piston rings: GM DOES have an upgraded set of piston rings but you need to do a "oil consumption" test which I believe needs to exceed 1 quart in 1000 miles for GM to fix it under warrenty. (Can someone confirm that number?)

2) PCV system sucks up some oil and returns it into the throttle body which then gets adds it to the intake air charge. Some people have added catch cans to their PCV system to trap that oil. Others have gone to the '03 or '04 PCV system which is supposed to eliminate the problem. In the first case (catch can) the oil consumption will not stop but you will catch it before it makes it into the engine to be burned. That will help stop the carbon buildup from the oil. The second system has gotten mixed reviews as to how well it actually works.

So the bad news.... yes most '01s burn oil. How much will depend.

If your burning crazy amounts GM can replace the piston rings to help it but you need to exceed GMs "limits" to get this done under warrenty.

--Bill
According to Gm excessive oil consumption is a vehicle using 1 quart of oil in 1500 miles.This is an engine with no external oil leaks.
Old 11-16-2004, 03:21 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by zamboxl
well the fact that you went to regular oil after using syn is not a good thing either.
Doesn't make a difference.

Quick Reply: Do Ls1 Burn Oil ???