Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

head help

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 10:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default head help

Hey guys i was wondering if there would be any diff in streetavility, durability, between a stage one head and a stage 2 or a 3. So would a bigger port affect any of the above or is it just more performance. Lets say i put stage one , or stage 3 heads in my car would both cruse the same??? or would teh stage 3 head be a chopier, less durable ride.??
Old 11-17-2004, 11:17 AM
Launching!

drivability would be the same i would think.
Old 11-17-2004, 11:28 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I would think that the cam selection based on the head flow would make a bigger difference. Why get a better flowing head if you don't have the cam to take advantage of the flow? Do you have a cam in mind?
Old 11-17-2004, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Steve Burger
I would think that the cam selection based on the head flow would make a bigger difference. Why get a better flowing head if you don't have the cam to take advantage of the flow? Do you have a cam in mind?
well i am already running a thunder racing 224,224 so i would think that be enough. i am not lookign to by a set of heads right now i just wanted to know for the future. So basically a stage 3 head is just as good as a stage 1 as far as reliability and averyday driving??
Old 11-17-2004, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's no uniformity among Head Porters so someone's stage 1 maybe someone's stage 2 and vice versa. Best bet is to call the porter you wanted to talk to and find out what they think.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MUSTANGEATER
There's no uniformity among Head Porters so someone's stage 1 maybe someone's stage 2 and vice versa. Best bet is to call the porter you wanted to talk to and find out what they think.
ok well lets say a small port job and a big port job instead of a stage 1 and a stage 3.
Old 11-17-2004, 03:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok,here's my theory.small ports have more velocity than a bigger port,all else being equal.like steve said,you have to match the cam to what the head will flow.if your going to spin your motor no higher than 6000rpms,(with a small cam)a bigger port will not fill the cylinders as well as a smaller port with more velocity.but with a big cam, spinning the motor up to 7000 or so,than the bigger port will work better at the higher rpms,but flow will be a little lazy at the low range.it's a little over simplified,but it's my theory.
Old 11-18-2004, 10:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 66deuce
ok,here's my theory.small ports have more velocity than a bigger port,all else being equal.like steve said,you have to match the cam to what the head will flow.if your going to spin your motor no higher than 6000rpms,(with a small cam)a bigger port will not fill the cylinders as well as a smaller port with more velocity.but with a big cam, spinning the motor up to 7000 or so,than the bigger port will work better at the higher rpms,but flow will be a little lazy at the low range.it's a little over simplified,but it's my theory.
oooooo so basically if i iam not going to be reving into v tech territorry a big port job won't really be the best??? so with a 224, 224 cam with a factory rev limiter a medium port job will work better than a large one???
Old 11-18-2004, 11:02 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I agree with 66deuce. Port velocity is very important. A bigger port will not have the velocity of a smaller port with your cam.

Over simplified, but think of a garden hose and a 10" sewer pipe both limited with the same restriction at the end (cam and valve size). The garden hose will have much more velocity of flow than the sewer pipe.
Old 11-18-2004, 03:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by zamboxl
oooooo so basically if i iam not going to be reving into v tech territorry a big port job won't really be the best??? so with a 224, 224 cam with a factory rev limiter a medium port job will work better than a large one???
with a stock cube motor yes,you would have more power under the curve,or better average horsepower over the entire rpm range. you will probably make more peak horse power with a stg. 3 head,but will lose out on the low and mid range.for a street car,you want to maximize low and mid range torque,especially if it's a little on the heavy side(like our f bodys).i would think something like a TEA stg.1.5 would be a good match for your cam.just my .02

Last edited by 66deuce; 11-18-2004 at 03:13 PM.