Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

heads and cam or ATI procharger

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 03:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default heads and cam or ATI procharger

This may be common up here but i searched and few results turned up. I DO KNOW that a supercharger places stress on the bottom end and that from most people they prefer heads and cam for the longevity of the motor.

Would yall go with heads and cam (along with tuning of course) or an ATI set up; basically i know both can get the same power. With the procharger we were going to run 6lbs of boost.

I want the whine under the hood, because it just sounds so darn cool and people wouldn't really know what was under the hood; with heads and cam they would hear my car and guess what was in it.

Main question is : Would a Procharger set up @ 6psi not stress the motor bad, I mainly want Longevity out of the car as a whole, future mods may come but unless something seriously goes wrong with the motor no swaps are going to be taking place.
Old 11-17-2004, 03:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you'd be better off wth a heads/cam...either s/c or h/c will make the same power (for what you are talking about) and supercharger would cost more...people will DEFINATLY know something different cause they will hear the whine...not to mention heads/cam is better for the engine as long as the cam is not huge...i.e. under a 230 duration...it's basically a matter of opinion...either way you will get noticed...i would just go heads/cam
Old 11-17-2004, 03:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Most of the best ET times come out of high quality head/cam setups with gears compared to boosted LS1's with factory bottom ends. Forced induction is a very delicate thing that requires constant maintenance for the the setup to always be at its best....do H/C and never look back!
Old 11-17-2004, 03:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

i personally think that a blower is a much easier way to get the hp. you can always boost it up more if tuned right of course and with heads/cam you are pretty much set at the rwhp you got after your tune. with a blower there is always a few things here and there that can squeeze more out of your blower. i like the sound of a nasty cam/heads set up, but the whine that a blower provides is like no other sound imo.
if you drag race alot then i would definetely go with a head/cam set up. but if you are planning on street racing then i would go for the blower without a doubt.
Old 11-17-2004, 03:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Go for both.

Find a low compression set of heads (AFR's work well), a cam that works well with FI, and go both on your car.
Old 11-17-2004, 03:36 PM
12 Second Club

Not trying to high jack the thread but...777 you implied a large cam ie over 230 is bad for the motor. I am just curious what you mean. Are you talking about the stress on the valve train associated with larger cams because I think lift, more than duration determines the wear on the valvetrain, but most cams with that much duration usually have pretty high lift numbers also. I was just wondering if there were ill side affects to the bottom end from using a larger cam, I think that is what he is worried about, since he said he wasn't planning a swap, but valvetrain wear just requires new springs etc. Although cams with large overlap also require the engine to be spun higher which of course is not going to increase longevity....maybe I have already answered my own question. Just curious not trying to argue, I thought maybe you knew something I didn't.
Thanks
Matt
Old 11-17-2004, 04:47 PM
Launching!

ati prochargers are VERY loud. if you think someone will hear the whine and not know what it is you are very wrong. if you want performance but no sound why not get a nitrous kit? the bottle can be placed in the spare tire well and you can easily gain 150+rwhp.

that being said, id go with a heads/cam setup and nitrous.
Old 11-17-2004, 06:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Not trying to high jack the thread but...777 you implied a large cam ie over 230 is bad for the motor. I am just curious what you mean. Are you talking about the stress on the valve train associated with larger cams because I think lift, more than duration determines the wear on the valvetrain, but most cams with that much duration usually have pretty high lift numbers also. I was just wondering if there were ill side affects to the bottom end from using a larger cam, I think that is what he is worried about, since he said he wasn't planning a swap, but valvetrain wear just requires new springs etc. Although cams with large overlap also require the engine to be spun higher which of course is not going to increase longevity....maybe I have already answered my own question. Just curious not trying to argue, I thought maybe you knew something I didn't.
Thanks
Matt
i was basically referring to lift...since large duration and large lift go hand in hand i just used duration...and yes i was referring to the valvetrain mostly...however usually with larger cams you spin them higher and that puts more stress on the bottom end...so basically you answered your own question i'm just telling you that is what i meant when i said large cams are bad for the motor...
Old 11-17-2004, 07:40 PM
TECH Resident

see the thing is if i get a blower its going to stay at 6psi (or whatever the actual psi is when the car reaches full bost on the P1-SC kit)

With the heads and cam well, thats a different story. Both would actually cost about the same, IMO. since a blower is around grand total of 5k and heads and cam are around 4.5k

My car dynoed now with KOOKS headers and y-pipe (stock muffler) @ 356HP and 375TQ at the wheels.

I DEFINITELY WANT more torque than HP!!! thats my problem. I have known a lot of people who went with heads and cam and they came out with more HP than torque like 432HP and 384TQ; i mean that ain't bad but 432HP and 421TQ would be better. I know there are a lot of heads and cam set ups out there and i don't want to go too heavy with the cam. I still want it to be a daily driver and have fun car.

Honestly what would yall recommend for heads and cam?? I don't want too heavy of a cam, nor do i want to heavily increase compression.

All this is kind of new to me and I know that you can slap on a supercharger and have to mess with it every now and then and its ok. BUt heads and cam, besides making tune changes are ok.

Thanks yall for the input.
Old 11-17-2004, 07:47 PM
Launching!

If you want torque get a nitrous kit on top of a H&C package. I would suggest no more than a 224/224 or 224/228 cam for great street manners along with a good set of stage 2 5.3 heads. Then get a TNT or NX wet kit along with dyno tuning and your good to go.
Old 11-17-2004, 07:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

H/C will most likely net more hp than tq...from almost every H/C car dyno I've seen on this board.
F/I almost always yields more tq.
To be honest, I'd go w/ the STS turbo kit. The base, non intercooled, non meth injection setup at 5 psi is something like 420 rwhp and 450 rwtq. And it's completely bolt on w/ your mods.
Old 11-17-2004, 08:02 PM
TECH Resident

if i did the turbo kit i would need to get other items for the turbo and from many people i have heard that turbos as daily drivers just aren't there for them

It will be a while before i get this setup i'm starting to get some knowledge on it. I'm still debating about turbos and they haven't really been exposed a lot on our cars until STS came out with their kit; and not many of those people that have them have commented on them on here that i can see, people have only said "oh hey i'll get one". Not to say turbos are out of the question but i'm sketchy on them. I'm waiting to hear and see numbers and track times on STS turbo set ups and if the people who have those setups actually like them.

Those numbers are nice though, for 5psi
Old 11-17-2004, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Of the two options you're considering, heads and cam set-ups will net you higher hp than tq as you already know.
Centrifugal blowers such as Procharger will normally also net you higher hp than tq though.
If you want to have higher tq than hp you will have to either go with bigger cubes, slap on a turbo kit, or wait and see if there will be any roots type or twin screw superchargers available in the near future for the f-body.
Old 11-18-2004, 10:21 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 01_SuperSlow
Of the two options you're considering, heads and cam set-ups will net you higher hp than tq as you already know.
Centrifugal blowers such as Procharger will normally also net you higher hp than tq though.
If you want to have higher tq than hp you will have to either go with bigger cubes, slap on a turbo kit, or wait and see if there will be any roots type or twin screw superchargers available in the near future for the f-body.

I have known plenty of supercharged cars with more tq than hp that have used the procharger. Believe me there is a way to tune it and build it right either way (heads and cam or supercharger) to get higher tq than hp. To get higher torque than hp all it is left to is engineering, calculations and fuel, air, spark, etc. I have seen few people get higher tq than hp but that was probably because they took the time to research everything and get the correct item(s) or tune(s) to net higher tq. You don't have to go bigger cubes or whatever, i mean you can; and there is only such a limit you can push the stock 346 too to get max tq and hp numbers
Old 11-18-2004, 03:45 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 777
i was basically referring to lift...since large duration and large lift go hand in hand i just used duration...and yes i was referring to the valvetrain mostly...however usually with larger cams you spin them higher and that puts more stress on the bottom end...so basically you answered your own question i'm just telling you that is what i meant when i said large cams are bad for the motor...
Sweet, I was just curious I love my "large" cam. It is a blast on the top end but like you said the top end requires the motor to be spun, I broke a REV dual spring after 3000 miles I think it was just a faulty spring because the other 7 are still going strong after another 4000 miles.Anyway my vote is heads/cam, I just have a cam and can't wait to get some heads. I would really like to go with a blower in the future though.
Matt
Old 11-18-2004, 07:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

well i'm not at all dissing a "large" cam...not that it is huge or really even big compared to what people are running these days but i will be running either an f11 or f13...more likely an f11 with some ffhp ls6 style stage 2 heads...i don't know the specs of the g5x2 but i'm thinking it is similar to those cams...by the way to me it seems like you should be running better than a 12.6 but then again your sixty isn't so hot...you still on street tires i presume?
Old 11-18-2004, 08:25 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 777
well i'm not at all dissing a "large" cam...not that it is huge or really even big compared to what people are running these days but i will be running either an f11 or f13...more likely an f11 with some ffhp ls6 style stage 2 heads...i don't know the specs of the g5x2 but i'm thinking it is similar to those cams...by the way to me it seems like you should be running better than a 12.6 but then again your sixty isn't so hot...you still on street tires i presume?
Yeah, I couldn't agree more, I am really dissapointed in my times, but I am on street tires, stock clutch, gears, LS1 intake etc. My clutch is having trouble off the line and when I shift to second and third it will slip a little. I really think some 4.10's, LS6 intake and a new clutch with some sticky tires should really help out. By the way the specs on the cam is something like 238/240..598/602 I think. Good luck with your future mods.
Old 11-18-2004, 10:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Go with the G5x3 and AFR heads.
Old 11-18-2004, 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

G5X2 specs are 232/240 .595/.608
Old 11-19-2004, 03:32 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01_SuperSlow
G5X2 specs are 232/240 .595/.608
Thanks for clearing that up. I knew the specs could be found but I was too lazy to look again, and just put what I thought I remembered seeing. I see that you are running the G5X2 do you have any times yet? What kind of gears are you running? What are the specs on the F11 and F13 are they similiar to a G5X2?
Thanks
Matt