Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam for block hugger headers.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2004, 07:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam for block hugger headers.

There was a thread about designing a cam for a restricted exhaust system. I did a search but could not locate it.

I am going to have to run 1 5/8 " Sanderson block huggers on my 280Z LS1 conversion. I wont have cat’s and will run through a 2 ½" X pipe then through Borla XR-1’s and dump before the axle.

I worry that the cam might not be ideal for my setup and I’m looking for a logical subsutition. It will flow good, but I doubt that it will scavange well.

My understanding of all this is to kill the overlap on the cam. I will also entertain the though of a nitrous shot in the future.

Any suggestions are welcome.

The engine set up is as follows:

LS1 from a 99 firebird
TR230 cam
Stage II AS 5.3’s
CC stock type lifters
CC hardened pushrods
Dual chain
Thunder ported Oil pump
LS6 intake
Janzer TB
Speed Inc. fuel rails, 30 lb injectors, external pressure regulator
LS1 edit and EFI live.
SPEC stage 3 clutch and new style slave cylinder
Old 12-20-2004, 03:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Anybody got any thoughts? The TR230 looks to have about 4.6 degrees of overlap @ .006

Originally Posted by DaleMX
There was a thread about designing a cam for a restricted exhaust system. I did a search but could not locate it.

I am going to have to run 1 5/8 " Sanderson block huggers on my 280Z LS1 conversion. I wont have cat’s and will run through a 2 ½" X pipe then through Borla XR-1’s and dump before the axle.

I worry that the cam might not be ideal for my setup and I’m looking for a logical subsutition. It will flow good, but I doubt that it will scavange well.

My understanding of all this is to kill the overlap on the cam. I will also entertain the though of a nitrous shot in the future.

Any suggestions are welcome.

The engine set up is as follows:

LS1 from a 99 firebird
TR230 cam
Stage II AS 5.3’s
CC stock type lifters
CC hardened pushrods
Dual chain
Thunder ported Oil pump
LS6 intake
Janzer TB
Speed Inc. fuel rails, 30 lb injectors, external pressure regulator
LS1 edit and EFI live.
SPEC stage 3 clutch and new style slave cylinder
Old 12-20-2004, 03:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Do have the sniffer test in your state. If not ditch the cats and just edit the codes out. The TR230 i am asuming is on a 114lsa right.

The way i look at it is no matter what u are choking off the motor if you have cats. Motor has to work to the exhaust out. If you can free it up you will lose a little low end. I put a 224/224 580/580 112 cam in an car a couple of weeks ago. Had stock exhaust exsep he had a cut out. I could hear the motor trying to push the exhaust out. If you are going to try and put more air in the motor you have to let it out.
Old 12-20-2004, 04:37 AM
On The Tree

I'm using the same headers in my 2001 Jimmy and I was worried a/b my motor being choked of too. But I'm going with sweet thunder mufflers and no cats and I'm also worried a/b not having enough backpressure. Friend of mine dyno'd his mustang w/ flowmasters 500.1rwhp so we decided to unbolt his mufflers redyno'd @ 497 tuner say he probably didn't have enough backpressure, but he does need to get rid of his flowmaster.
Old 12-20-2004, 06:31 AM
TECH Junkie

I wont have cats and the LSA is at 110. No emissions on a 78 280Z, just no room for LT's.
Old 12-20-2004, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

aww. Damn you want to radle the fillings out of your teeth. Run the damn cam. You will be lacking on the power some because of not having LT but it still will make good power.
Old 12-20-2004, 11:27 AM
yak
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Well i think this is the thread you were thinking of https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...aust+cam+power
Its about making power with the stock setup. hope this helps. Read patrick G's post, its about 6 posts down.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks Yak, that was the link I was looking for.

Quick Reply: Cam for block hugger headers.