Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gradually losing oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2004, 10:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Gradually losing oil pressure

Approximately 2-3 months ago I put a cam in the car. We replaced oil pump, timing chain and pulley as well. I used cheap 5w-30 oil for break in, and I ran it twice after the cam install for 500 miles each. Oil pressure prior to cam install was right at 38ish idle hot. The last oil swap I changed to synthetic, and as far as I know its the first time the car has ever had synthetic. Oil pressure was fine for a while, but lately it appears that oil pressure is gradually going downhill. Im using Mobil 1 5w-30 now, and the idle pressure started off at a steady 38, but now its approaching 28 at idle. Oil now has about 2500 miles on it. What gives? Possible bad oil pump? O-ring just now starting to have issues? Like I said, it's been fine for 3k miles, and just now starting to have problems. Should I check the oring or try swapping oil back to the cheap 5w-30? I'm at a loss...
Old 12-24-2004, 08:31 AM
TECH Resident

I would check the O-ring first.
Old 12-24-2004, 08:35 AM

I would change oil brand first and go to a 10w30. I tried using Mobil 1 when I had the stock motor and I lost 10 PSI and so did 2 other car that I know... we all switched and all was normal again. If the O ring was fine for a while, theres no reason for it to mess up now. Its not a moving part, its either good or bad. It could be the pump too, but thats a pretty slim chance these days.

If youve rode the car hard and it has alot of miles, it may be the bearing going bad...
Old 12-24-2004, 10:01 AM
TECH Veteran

i have the opposite problem - after swapping my oil pressor switch my oil pressure is too high.

Try 10-30 mobile one - it tends to give a higher pressure reading. if this does not fix it I would rip the pan and cam cover off and replace the green oil pump o-ring once again.

That blows - but fix it or your motor may be history.
Old 12-24-2004, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by robertbartsch
i have the opposite problem - after swapping my oil pressor switch my oil pressure is too high.

Try 10-30 mobile one - it tends to give a higher pressure reading. if this does not fix it I would rip the pan and cam cover off and replace the green oil pump o-ring once again.

That blows - but fix it or your motor may be history.
Blue O ring
Old 12-24-2004, 02:31 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Country Boy
Blue O ring
Why do the trucks and cars have a different color and part number for the o ring. the truck o ring is green while the car o ring is blue. They both have the same pumps though?