Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

turbo or charger

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 03:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default turbo or charger

a lot of guys seem to be going with turbos now. is there a reason why? i know the difference between the two, outside air or exhaust, but is there any pros or cons of one or the other?

thanks,
rob
Old 02-21-2005, 04:01 PM
Staging Lane

Default turbo

Originally Posted by wvaboy
a lot of guys seem to be going with turbos now. is there a reason why? i know the difference between the two, outside air or exhaust, but is there any pros or cons of one or the other?

thanks,
rob
In my opinion and experiences with turbo's I feel that they have a higher output possibilities. In the broad sense of things I feel like it makes more sense to have a turbo because it not only forces the air in but also sucks the air out, something that a blower does not offer. Also I think that higher boost capabilities are possible on one type of turbo. Now anyone correct me if I am wrong superchargers are sort of limited in the boost department as far as high boosting on stock or slightly bigger sizes go. In other words I feel you can boost more on a smaller turbo than on a small blower. But I would just stick to N/A applications that's what chevy has always been about. Boost is for fords it's the only way that they can make any real power!
Old 02-21-2005, 04:42 PM
Staging Lane

Turbo's make more torque, but also cost more and are not as plug and play.
If money is not a problem or limitation go for the turbo.
Old 02-21-2005, 07:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the broad sense of things I feel like it makes more sense to have a turbo because it not only forces the air in but also sucks the air out

Turbos do not suck the exhaust out of the engine. You should check the pressure of the exhaust before it enters the turbine housing. The heat of the exhaust and the pressure of the exhaust is what turns the turbo.

Also, FI is for fords? What ever. Thats like saying NO2 is only good for WW2 Bombers. FI is for who ever can aford real power, not just for Fords. Man I hate to flame but lets get our Sh*t together here.
Old 02-21-2005, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Now that I am done flaming, I think, and its just MY OPINION, Turbos make for some of the best rides when driving them. They usually make more bottom end power, but you can offset that with other mods when running a supercharge. The truth is a roots blower is always there. It will make gobs of boost at Low RPM as well. No Spooling the thing up. But even it has its limits. It comes down to a few symple things that determine if you are going to buy a Turbo kit or a Supercharger kit. Money (turbo kits usually cost more in the end), room in the car (or how little room left over you are willing to put up with), availibility of the product, plug and play ease, and present mods or intended mods.

Superchargers can make alot of power with the right mods, so can a turbo, but if one of them were the best why don't the top fuelies use them? I think the Pro's use roots style blowers.
Old 02-22-2005, 09:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think more often than not, a S/C setup will be simple and easy to setup compared to most turbo kits. The turbos usually make more power and have far more potential to make big power, but theres always turbo lag. A supercharger will make power right off idle, and it will grow proportionally as RPMS raise. If for no other reason, i think id go with a s/c so that I could still hear the nice rumble of the true duals.
Old 02-22-2005, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
I think more often than not, a S/C setup will be simple and easy to setup compared to most turbo kits. The turbos usually make more power and have far more potential to make big power, but theres always turbo lag. A supercharger will make power right off idle, and it will grow proportionally as RPMS raise. If for no other reason, i think id go with a s/c so that I could still hear the nice rumble of the true duals.
He makes a strong point. And see every one likes the differences for their own personal reasons. You can make gobs of power with either if you put the combo together right. A good turbo with the wrong combo will not get you what you want. Its all in the combo, personal preferances, space limitations, ease of install, and the biggest factor always, MONEY.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:38 AM
TECH Addict

another thing to consider....superchargers sacrifice more power than turbos. i remember researching this for a while when i was thinking of going forced induction. i know this is not an exact, cuz all applications are different, but i think with a s/c u will sacrifice close to 15-20% whereas with a turbo its closer to 5-10%. for example, for every 100hp u gain, u will lose 15-20hp with a huffer and only 5-10hp with a turbo. its kinda like a car losing power thru the drivetrain. ur motor power will always put out 15-20% higer than what your car actually sees at the rear wheels.
and as far as lag, i read that the way turbos are made these days, the lag is very minimum. the wheels are lighter, and spin faster cuz of this, and in turn...minimizing the lag.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Wickid Z
another thing to consider....superchargers sacrifice more power than turbos. i remember researching this for a while when i was thinking of going forced induction. i know this is not an exact, cuz all applications are different, but i think with a s/c u will sacrifice close to 15-20% whereas with a turbo its closer to 5-10%. for example, for every 100hp u gain, u will lose 15-20hp with a huffer and only 5-10hp with a turbo. its kinda like a car losing power thru the drivetrain. ur motor power will always put out 15-20% higer than what your car actually sees at the rear wheels.
and as far as lag, i read that the way turbos are made these days, the lag is very minimum. the wheels are lighter, and spin faster cuz of this, and in turn...minimizing the lag.
This is true but its a double edged sword as a lighter turbo dosnt stay spooled up as long. This could be a bigger deal on a stick car than on an automatic. But then again the BOV sounds sick on a manual trans car. Its all about what the guy is looking for most. Also, I dont think the turbo guys really admit how much HP theyre losing due to the added exhaust back pressure.
Old 02-23-2005, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am a profesional Industrial Mechanic. I mainly work on Waukesha Gas Powered Industrial engines. They teach us that in a recipicating engine you use only one third of the energy generated by the engine threw rotation. One third goes out the flywheel to be utilize. One third goes out the exhaust. The last one third goes out the water jackets. A turbo uses up most all the exhaust energy and converts it to rotating energy Which then makes more exhaust energy and jacket water energy. Most aplications let the Jacket water energy go to waist. You do utilize some of it in the winter to keep the frost off your butt but most all of it is spent to the atmoshere. Energy is heat. So the use of a turbo makes the recipicating engine more efitient. There are engine that utilize blowers feed by turbos. Now they realy make power!!!

A supercharger is not considered to be effitient because it does not utilize the energy waisted in the exhaust. Turbos are not free power adders. They take energy to drive them. The more boost you use the more energy it takes to biuld it. Same as a supercharger. I have been told by mainy racers (non profetional) that turbos use less power then any direct driven FI, but I have never heard that claim at any Industrial Engine school.

Again, it all comes down to the things I stated before, Money, Availibility, Personal Preference, Space, Plug and Play, oh did I mention MONEY?

I personaly want to go turbo, but I can do what I want to do with a supercharger. The supercharger looks less expencive, less trouble to install, more availible, Taking up less space, and is more plug and play.

I have no idea wich is more reliable in the longevity department. That info would sway me one way or the other.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good info Texas. You mentioned the Pro Stock draggers using SC, it's only because turbos are illegal at this point. BUT the NHRA is close to approving them for competition from what I understand.
Both have merits, the turbo IMHO is easier to upgrade down the road than a SC. It also allows "normal" driving habits to be used due to the lag. Kept my 2wd truck inline when some snow/ice made an apperance in Jan.
Old 02-24-2005, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

I did not know about the rule. I would love to see some pro turbo cars at NHRA.

They all have their pros and cons. Now I am confused as to wich way to go. Either would work for my aplication though.
Old 02-24-2005, 07:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

you should get a supercharger because too many guys are getting turbo's these days.

(if i were you i would get a turbo )
Old 02-24-2005, 07:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would love to but here are the things making me think twice. The biggest thing is the money question, why should I shell out $7000+ when all I am looking to turn is low 11's. I think the instal would be a bigger pain in the rump then the supercharger (of course I have not done either so I realy do not know), I would be installing it myself. I just installed headers that I paid almost $700 for, they would be useless and have to be sold.

Thats my main problems with it. I would love a turbo or twins would be even better. I just have to justify the $2000 difference and the loss in money I would take from selling the headers.

Not trying to be a pain here, I realy wish someone could come up with a real good mind setting quote for me to push me over that line to go turbo insted of supercharger.
Old 02-24-2005, 07:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

i think i found your problem

Originally Posted by Texas_WS6
all I am looking to turn is low 11's
you are not being honest with yourself. low 11's will be slow once you get there and you will want a 10, then a mid 10 then you want to dip in the 9's.

my goal was 600rwhp and i would be happy.. now i am mad when i can't spin 5th gear from a roll
Old 02-24-2005, 08:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Turbos would still be very nice to have, or twins would be even nicer
Old 02-24-2005, 09:58 PM
TECH Addict

my goal was 600rwhp and i would be happy.. now i am mad when i can't spin 5th gear from a roll
damn bro, u are makin some power

you
Old 02-24-2005, 10:02 PM
TECH Addict

oh **** man, hey mightmouse, i just realized u are in richmond. im down here in va beach a couple hours from u. do u attend many events around here....cuz i dont know about much that goes around in these parts...???
Old 02-24-2005, 10:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

hi wickid z. our car club has been participating in 'cruizin va beach' every april for the last three years.. cant say we are regulars down there any other time

our website is www.richmondperformancemusclecars.com
Old 02-25-2005, 01:09 PM
TECH Addict

any chance i can meet some of yall when u come down? i dont know many ls1 people around here.