Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Top 3 for the Pro's ... need your thoughts/help

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2005, 03:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Top 3 guesses ????

Looking for a few thoughts on why my engine is drinking so much oil. I'd like to know your top 3 reasons (in order) that you think could be causing the issue:

1. Engine burns oil (a quart every 300 miles), but, not 'til about 5000 rpm and it gets worse as the rpm's get higher (black smoke, then, turns gray on deceleration).

2. Noiser than normal valvetrain chatter ... a little worse on the driver side.

3. A/F is 13.0-13.2 across the dyno graph and the graph shows a mellow, nice torque curve from 4000 - 6000 rpm's.

4. PCV valve replaced and helped only a little.

In addition to my sig, my car has a Jantzer ported TB, LS6 intake, 37,000 original miles ... cam kit includes titanium retainers, Comp 918 springs, TR hardened custom 7.400 chrome-moly pushrods.

Last edited by JEB99TA; 03-06-2005 at 11:22 AM. Reason: No replies
Old 03-06-2005, 11:20 AM
TECH Addict

Nobody got a clue? I thought I'd have a few replies by now ... did I say something wrong?
Old 03-06-2005, 11:36 AM
BADA BING BADA BOOM!!!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It could be a few things.

1) Bad valve stem seals.

2) Blow by getting past the rings.

3) Insufficient crankcase ventilation.

You could try a Metco breather, it's the easiest and cheapest route.

If that doesn't help then have a compression/leakdown test done.

If the compression/leakdown test checks out OK then it's the valve stem seals.

Or you can just throw in a 400 plus CI stroker and eliminate these issues.

Good luck.
Old 03-06-2005, 04:02 PM
TECH Addict

Hey Richie, good hearing from you. Hope things are going well with you. Thanks for the suggestions.

The Metco breather looks like a good idea, think it might keep the engine a little cleaner, internally ... maybe a good long-term investment. I guess a set of AFR 205's milled to 62cc with the .040-.045 Cometics gaskets would fix that possible valve seat issue ... would be as good a time as any to be broke again. ... this car usually keeps me that way. Got my Nitto's mounted, so, I need more power to break my ******' rearend and ***-**** the tranny ... LOL!!!

Anyway, I just noticed there's several drops of oil leaked form underneath the care and it's not coming from the pan. **** ... maybe at high compression (above 5300 rpm), seal may have a pin-leak. On the right side of the car, there's an oily black buildup behind the front right tire ... looks like it's blowing oil from underneath ... damn!! Oh well, ain't nuthin' a few good shots of Bacardi 151 won't fix ... at least temporarily!!
Old 03-06-2005, 06:40 PM
TECH Addict

Default Dipstick tube ...

Just found a possible problem that may have been causing mysterious oil loss and black smoke at high rpm's. The passenger side dipstick tube was 3/8" out of the hole where it connects. The anchor bolt had back out and the tube looks like it had blown out of the motor and may have caused the loss of oil and the black smoke ... where it leaked all over the exhaust and burned.

I sure hope this was the problem all along. I pushed the dipstick tube in real hard to seat the detent ring into the recessed hole and it went in what felt like about a half inch. It's seated and secured now. I'll post if this fixed the problem. Anybody else ever have this happen?

Last edited by JEB99TA; 03-07-2005 at 05:21 AM.