Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice on which direction to take with mods.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 08:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need advice on which direction to take with mods.

Mods are in sig. I am thinking about either nitrous, heads, or a new cam. My goal is to produce over 400HP on a budget. I have not dynoed with my current set up in the sig. Before the cam, tuning, ls6, and duals, I made 355hp with a pulley, lt header w/no cats, open borla, and predator tune.

What should I purchase?

nos = $600
5.3 PP heads- $1300
tsp torquer cam- $345
Old 03-06-2005, 09:07 PM
Possible Scammer - Buyer Beware - Issues Unresolved

Originally Posted by shep28
Mods are in sig. I am thinking about either nitrous, heads, or a new cam. My goal is to produce over 400HP on a budget. I have not dynoed with my current set up in the sig. Before the cam, tuning, ls6, and duals, I made 355hp with a pulley, lt header w/no cats, open borla, and predator tune.

What should I purchase?

nos = $600
5.3 PP heads- $1300
tsp torquer cam- $345

on a budget....nitrous
Old 03-06-2005, 09:40 PM
12 Second Club

I would get a cam, and do sone weight reduction. N2O is a good option, but if done correctly is not really cheap.
Old 03-06-2005, 09:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mykdiver
I would get a cam, and do sone weight reduction. N2O is a good option, but if done correctly is not really cheap.
Pay particular attention to what he just said. Done right, nitrous is easily a four digits+ investment. I don't see where you would get any significant gain by switching to the torquer. You would get some, but I don't think it would be much. (231/231 currently??) Since you already have a decent cam I'd get some heads...or nitrous. But nitrous will get expensive, especially since you will be nearing the safe limit in terms of fuel supply and what the stock bottom end can *safely* handle. Of course, you shouldn't need much at all to hit 400.
Old 03-06-2005, 10:00 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
Pay particular attention to what he just said. Done right, nitrous is easily a four digits+ investment. I don't see where you would get any significant gain by switching to the torquer. You would get some, but I don't think it would be much. (231/231 currently??) Since you already have a decent cam I'd get some heads...or nitrous. But nitrous will get expensive, especially since you will be nearing the safe limit in terms of fuel supply and what the stock bottom end can *safely* handle. Of course, you shouldn't need much at all to hit 400.
If you had $1300, what would you get with my current mods? nitrous or pp 5.3 heads? If you ran into a 2003 cobra or a similiar car, what would you want under the hood? heads, cam, or nos?
Old 03-06-2005, 10:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, if I ran into an 03 Cobra with a chip/pulley/tire/good driver combo I would definately rather have a bottle than heads. (BTW, try not to use the term "nos", but call it nitrous or n20 instead) BUT nitrous is only part time, you must refill the bottle, some people have less respect for nitrous cars (if you care what others think), is illegal to have on a street car (not that my car is legal anyway, lol) and is potentially dangerous. Of course, all mods are potentially dangerous but nitrous more so. I think I would get nitrous, because the gain from heads won't be huge. My future plans have be getting nitrous before heads.

BTW: Whatever you do, especially nitrous, reSEARCH it on here very well. I recommend getting a nice wet kit with all the goodies you can afford and a tune.