Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

to anyone whos ever hydro locked an engine or blown a head gasket

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 11:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default to anyone whos ever hydro locked an engine or blown a head gasket

Im trying to figure out what happend to my motor... After a nitrous run.. i let off and start coasting and decellerating in 4h gear , about 3 sec after ilet off i hear this light "POOF" then im like WTF was that... idk it drives ok, got good oil psi... i look inteh rear view to see white smoke upon accelration and now i can smell coolant. So i was about a mile from home, its missing pretty bad and the whole flashing ses light deal.... i investigate when iget home its dripping coolant from the pass side of the motor on the floor, i realease teh pressure from the rad cap and it stopped. pull all the plugs and #8 had the gap closed and gently pushed to one side and was coated with coolant. so upon trying to remove the head i round off the 1/2 hex head on the infamous arp head bolt in the lower left corner... So what i was able to do was lift the head over the dowl and slide it up the deck to expose about a 1/4 of #8 and it had a perfect chunk broken clean off down to the first ring in the lower right corner of the piston. it was fresh and shiney, no signs of detonation or burning, the plug was in nice shape and complete or by the breakge.

Is it possible it had pushed the head gasket , which hydro locked the cylinder momentarily, which busted the brittle corner of the piston off? The engine is coming out tonight so i can get the head off and see more detail, its a very real possibilty the liner/block could be cracked... but my assumption makes the most sence so far as it was leaking coolant externally, and magically stops as soon as pressure was released.

This was ona GM MLS gasket too BTW with ARP head bolts.

Ever heard of this?
What do you guys think?
Old 05-24-2005, 12:00 PM
TECH Addict

When mine happened it was on my second or third hot lap at the track. In my case one of the stock bolts must have just slightly given way, leaking coolant into the #7 cylinder. Gasket ahd a noticable rise on a 10m wide by 10mm long section near that head bolt, heads weren't warped. Got it home, swapped to cometics and ARP studs and no problems since.

What size shot are you running? If you went lean for a second and still had the last reminents of the shot along with coolant, that would be a bad mixture.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

200 dry shot, with methanol injection, ive gotten 5 bottles through ti so far, and about 11.5 AFR pretty consitently, 0 knock 98 % of the time.

What were your symptoms when it blew? lots of steam? hydro lock?

With how perfect the other 3 cylinder look on that side and the how the chunk out of the piston looks.. it left the top ring perfectly intact, and dug the piston out around it. Its really wierd il have to get pics.

It deff doesnt look burned at all... idk it possible... those back cylinders are getting hit with everything anyway.

Last edited by BADDLS1SS; 05-24-2005 at 12:23 PM.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:48 PM
TECH Addict

Don't forget your steam cleaning at the same time.

For me I noticed a big plume of white on startup and at heavy acceleration shifts at the track. I was 40 miles from home on a 58-60 degree night, so I lucked out and made it home. But every stop there was always a little puff of white at take off.

Quick Reply: to anyone whos ever hydro locked an engine or blown a head gasket