Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Darton Sleeves, decking?????

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 12:37 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Darton Sleeves, decking?????

I did a 427 wet sleeved block through Darton, finished up the installation today. Cartek did my heads and milled them, and I am using the Cometic gaskets. All assembly was flawless and to spec by me and friends, but I am leaking oil and water under drivers side head when I turn it over. So my question is: when you send a block to Darton for the sleeving process, do they deck it or even check it after installing the sleeves? Wouldn't the heat from honing and boring nessatate this? There is no mention of decking it on my invoice. Was I suppose to know it needed to be decked and ask for it? I assumed that when you send someone a block that a full inspection is doneon it, to make sure it is a good candidate before, and true after the resleeving. I'm calling Darton tomorrow to find out, but I sure am confused right now, and frustrated...I might have to take this thing right back out and tear it all the way back down for decking...well, I guess it's good experience, huh....
Old 06-14-2005, 01:01 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 123 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Decking

If you sent the block to Darton it was decked square and flat. I do all of Darton's block work.

You must use MID specific Cometic gaskets, not their standard LS1 gaskets. The MID specific gaskets are not listed in their catalog.

You must retorque the heads after first heat - cool down cycle.

There is no oil passage between the head and block other than drain back holes. Where is the oil coming from?

You must use Evan's coolant, not water, not water and antifreeze.

All of the above info is written up on Darton's web site in their publications section.

Feel free to call me if you have any questions. Darton will direct you to call me anyway.

Steve

Originally Posted by ScreaminDemon
I did a 427 wet sleeved block through Darton, finished up the installation today. Cartek did my heads and milled them, and I am using the Cometic gaskets. All assembly was flawless and to spec by me and friends, but I am leaking oil and water under drivers side head when I turn it over. So my question is: when you send a block to Darton for the sleeving process, do they deck it or even check it after installing the sleeves? Wouldn't the heat from honing and boring nessatate this? There is no mention of decking it on my invoice. Was I suppose to know it needed to be decked and ask for it? I assumed that when you send someone a block that a full inspection is doneon it, to make sure it is a good candidate before, and true after the resleeving. I'm calling Darton tomorrow to find out, but I sure am confused right now, and frustrated...I might have to take this thing right back out and tear it all the way back down for decking...well, I guess it's good experience, huh....
760-630-0450
web: www.raceenginedevelopment.com/
e-mail: race-engine-development@***.net
Old 06-14-2005, 01:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im pretty sure the block should have been decked. If not time for a tear down. Did cartek put the motor together, their a good shop and they would have caught it if it wasnt. Hope everything gets sorted out.