Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Difficulty of rebuiliding an LS1?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 12:16 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Difficulty of rebuiliding an LS1?

How difficult is rebuilding an LS1 engine? Are there any special tools or anything else required/absolutely needed for the task? Or is it pretty straight forward? How different is it compared to rebuilding a standard SBC or SBF?

Experience isn't a problem. I myself have rebuilt a couple of 5.0's(which I know is a different ballpark). But, my father was a GM technician for 27 years, and a mechanic for well over 30 years. So, he's built a few motors in his day, and knows his way around LT1's and LS1's a little bit. He says rebuilding an LS1 is a lot more difficult and in depth than a 5.0, etc.

Tools aren't a problem either(unless special ones are needed). He's got $50,000 worth of tools in the garage of pretty much everything you could ever need.

So, is this true? Or is he just saying this? Are they that difficult to rebuild?

He might just be saying this because he may not want to help. He is always telling me how F bodies are a pain in the ***, especially the ones with LT1's and LS1's.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Old 07-28-2005, 04:23 PM
TECH Resident

I would think it'd be about the same. After all, it's just a motor LOL. Most people are intimidated by new motors because of all the wiring and it doesn't look like an old school SBC. They don't see a carb sitting on top and think it's a complex time machine or something.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:05 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think they are easier to build, but mostly just different. You have all O-ring seals, so no gaskets to scrape. The 4th gen fbody engine bay is tight, so I understand what he is complaining about. There is actually more room around an LS1 than an LT1. But if you just drop the whole thing out the bottom first, the accessability issue disappears. Just get a GM shop manual and follow the procedures in there, and you will be fine.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:14 PM
11 Second Club

I agree with Cal. I think it's easier.
Old 07-29-2005, 06:21 AM
On The Tree

Yeah once u get the motor and kmember out from the underneath its so much easier. Today i took out my engine and tranny. Wasnt too bad. i say the most painful thing was takin off the ground mounts on the driver side head and the dip stick on the pass side head. The motor is much different then ur normal older SB. Just hate when the LS1 blow a connecting rod and destroy the engine. My motor and oil pan are totally destroyed. Its like my engine got his with a 8.9 earthquake has cracks and holes from #2 clyinder side of the engine block to #1 clyinder side of the block. But i dont think its much harder to work on a LS1 this was my first time taking one apart not too different from my old 87 GTA i had. The thing i worry about the most is making sure the wiring harness goes back to its correct spot. also the LS1 are way more better under the engine compartment my 96z i had like no room under the hood.