Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Real world benefit of Ti valves?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 12:56 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Real world benefit of Ti valves?

I know Ti is an exotic ultra light, yet super strong material. But, being used on intake valves, strip / street engine is there benefit other than valvetrain weight reduction? And how much effect is there from the weight loss for the valves? Money is not as much a factor is the results from use, so please dont post about references on how its best to spend $ elsewhere unless your backing up there is no benefit at all from the valves. Next would be incolnel exhaust valves, if any makes custom ones.
Old 07-28-2005, 01:27 PM
Launching!

besides the weight, all I could see is a thinner valve since it wouldn't need material to be strong
Old 07-28-2005, 01:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm a firm believer in light effective valvetrain mass.
Less mass also means better harmonics. All in all it allows for more control in higher rpms which translates into more power.
Problem with street applications is not the Tit. valve itself, but the valve seats.
Old 07-28-2005, 01:35 PM
Staging Lane

I remember hearing you need a valve seat made out of special material that I want to say is softer than stock because the titanium wears faster than other materials. Because of this I dont think it is used very often on street/strip motors due to the need to replace the valves relatively frequently. Just relaying second hand information, so take it as such.
Old 07-28-2005, 02:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anything that is in motion needs to be as light as possible. Same goes for anything to do with rotating mass.
Old 07-28-2005, 02:17 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The largest benefit from Ti valves is high RPM valve control. If your building a big inch engine that wont see north of 7K, the money spent on that luxury might arguably be placed elsewhere. Assuming a heavier steel valve can get the job done (controlled valve motion), the benefit of Ti becomes debatable. Your springs will last a bit longer (from controlling a lighter piece of mass) but with the quality of some of the higher end springs available today, extended cycle time with the heavier steel valves doesn't seem to be much of an issue. The LS7 engine has Ti due to the extra length and valve diameter (2.200) which would have increased the weight of a steel valve enough that they (the factory) would have been forced to run heavier springs, rockers, etc. The conventional style LS1 heads run valves that are reasonably light (when comparing typical small block stuff)....even the larger 2.100 valves aren't too bad. Hollow stem steel is also an option many companies offer (including us of course) for the weight conscious guys pushing the RPM's a bit.

My thoughts are if you really need Ti valves for perfect valve control, why not just opt for a solid roller where the valve weight of a solid valve wouldn't be a concern till well over 8000 RPM's. Seems there are plenty of solid steel (or hollow steel) hydraulic cams turning 7-7200 RPM's fairly reliably with the right spring/rocker combination. Any higher RPM's than that should really be a solid set-up anyway. Also, Ti valves should have a different seat material and even that situation with a reasonable amount of seat pressure won't be the ultimate set-up for a build-up that will see lots of street miles. It all comes down to application....I'm all about a lightweight Ti set-up in a high RPM racecar, I just question its real merit in a vehicle that most of the guys reading this thread would be involved in.

Just my .02 concerning Ti valves in a "conventional" style LS head...

Last edited by Tony Mamo @ AFR; 07-28-2005 at 02:23 PM.