Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

freshing up shortblock

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 10:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default freshing up shortblock

i have a stock shortblock that has been sitting around for two years without any oil in it.

first do you guys think it's better to have it freshened up with new bearings and rod bolts or it should be fine to throw some heads and cam in it and be good to go??

what is needed to do a freshen up? new bearings, rod bolts ... anything else? do i need to have any machining done? if so what is absolutely necessary? where can i find the clearances for the bearings and what bearings do you guys recommend?

i'd rather just throw the heads and cam in and be done with it if possible, the less money i have to spend the better. what do you guys think? any help is much apperciated.

thanks.

edit: 1998 LS1 shortblock with 59K miles was running strong before the heads/cam and oil were taken out.

Last edited by madpwr1; 08-02-2005 at 10:53 PM.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

TTT for the morning
Old 08-03-2005, 08:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Man that is a hard call. Has it been exspoded to any sort of moisture. Does it have rust on the jug sleeves or can u tell if there is rust on the bearings or crank. If there is any of this most likly you will not be able to run this shortblock at all.

I would say pull one of the rod caps off and look at the bearings but sence u do not have the TQ specs with you or set of new rod bolts that would be worth less. IF there is still oil on the bearings she should be still go do go.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

shortblock is still in the car. it's been in a garage the whole time with a blanket over the shortblock. no rust that i can see in the cylinders, still have machine marks visible ... i will take a picture and post it, maybe that will help