Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Motor not starting...Ideas???

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 03:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New Motor not starting...Ideas???

OK I've not been on the board in quite some time, so some of you might not know I grenaded my LS1 motor At VIR back in June. Put a hole in it that is HUGE. Go here to see the pics of the damage... http://photos.yahoo.com/dat74z and click on the Corvette pics folder.

Anyway, I was in the middle of having a new LS1 built anyway, so it wasn't that big a deal at the time. I now have installed a new LS1 with ported heads (2.02/1.57 valves) and thunder cam (224/224 kit) in it with a forged bottom end on all new parts...Running a Z06 intake with 28# injectors and Jeff Creech did the tune on the PCM for me. Also running a set of LGM headers. Only thing is now I can't get the motor to fire... getting a lot of popping and cracking when I crank it over...

I don't currently have the 1998 valve cover brackets that hold the coil packs on, AND I am re-using the cam and crank sensors from the motor that grenaded... What's the chances that one of these issues is the culprit? I'm going to retrace the wiring again, but I'm looking for pointers here guys... This is absolutely an ignition/ timing related issue...

Mike
Old 08-28-2005, 07:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The crank sensor may have been damage also. If not you may need to do a crank position relearn.