Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cookie cutter or build myself

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 09:12 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default cookie cutter or build myself

Ok heres my question. I can get an all forged stock cube shortblock for about 2800. I can buy a new block and crank from gm and good rods and pistons for abour 800 less. Plus i dont have to pay a 1000 dollar core charge. I guess what i am really asking is building this thing myself. Is the block from gm ready to go or does it require alot of machine work. And is there alot of things that need to be done on an aluminum engine that maybe im not aware of. I have built all of my own engines but this would be my first aluminum build. Would i be better of buying a cookie cutter. Oh buy the way i want to be able to spray about 300 shot on it.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:48 AM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO if you have the money to burn do it yourself, otherwise pick up one with a warranty and be happy with it. Unless your prepared to spend the money if it fails have someone that knows what they are doing build it.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:26 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks i appreciate it i just thought i might save some dough but i guess it may cost me in the long run. The only reason i had the question was my friend told me that to handle 300 shot i needed a dedicated motor. He said that one of the mail order shortblocks wouldnt handle that. He said i needed special nitrous pistons and special thermal coating on them. I guess if i do need all of that one of the companies would do it for me though.