Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help!, car studdering, knocking, low on power...

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 05:05 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help!, car studdering, knocking, low on power...

Daily driver, 02 LS6 ZO6. It started last night, upon acceleration it studders and stumbles, at 60mph in 6th the tach on the HUD bounces up and down a digit, and in neutral I heard a deep distinct knocking noise a few times.

Something similar happened to me in the past with a 94 LT1, the "studdering" was more abrupt but less frequent. It turned out to be a spark plug wire, and one of the cylinders wasnt firing.

I think its most likely a fouled plug or two, but Im not sure. A spun rod bearing came to mind but I think that is more audible, especially from the engine bay although Ive never heard a spun rod bearing before.

I also thought that maybe It's a bad batch of gas, but I got my 91 from the usual Chevron that I usually get from. So it wasnt like it was a no name station Ive never been to before.

I wasnt driving it hard last night, just normally shifting at 2k and treating it nicely when it happend. What is this most likely? I really can afford a bottom end right now, so if its more than a spark plug Im sorry to say that I might be trading down to maybe a 350Z.....
Old 12-04-2005, 09:09 PM
10 Second Club

Have you scanned it?
Old 12-04-2005, 09:38 PM
TECH Junkie

find someone with autotap in your area, or something similar. check all the wires and plugs. you may even try cleaning your maf, a dirty maf can cause a lot of problems and is mostly the last thing you would check. just throwing ideas out there.

does this only do it in 6th?
Old 12-04-2005, 11:28 PM
Staging Lane

I have a friend with a 99 SS camaro and his was breaking up like that. See if you can get to a shop or someone who knows how to use EFI Live. I don't know how to work it but it worked miracles on my buddies car. It shows you everything right off of the laptop. Not saying to shy away from the Z at all though
Old 12-04-2005, 11:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SgtB
Have you scanned it?
Yeah I scanned it, on the C5 if you hold down the options button and hit the fuel botton 4 times consecutively you will get a digital readout of all the OBD2 codes you would pick up on a scanner. No codes, and no check engine light.

I considered the MAF, but if the MAF was the culprit wouldnt my check engine light be on? Thanks for the replies so far.