Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Bearings/Bolts Etc.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 10:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Bearings/Bolts Etc.

I have a 98 Trans Am with 34,000 miles and will be completely disassembling the engine. I'm putting in all new bearings (mains, connecting rods, and cam). I also ordered ARP high performance rod bolts, rear main seal, front main seal, rear cover gasket, TSP basic camshaft bolt and gasket kit, oil pan gasket, and an oil pump to pickup o-ring.

Can I re-use the main bolts. I'm not putting in ARP main bolts, but would consider new GM main bolts if the stock one's can't be re-used.

Do I need any special tools to install these parts.

I know somebody will ask so, I will be putting in a FM14 cam, PP LS6 Stage II heads, and will be sending the stock rockers in to Nasty Nates.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cam bearings- your best bet would be to take the block to a machine shop to have them knock out your old ones and put new ones in
Old 12-13-2005, 02:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mains are reusable. The side ones are supposed to be replaced, but that's only because they have some sealer pre-applied around the sealing surface of the heads. You can smear a little sealer around the bottom of the heads on the old side bolts and re-use them.

I agree with ramair on the cam bearings. You need a $300 tool to do these, and they're pulled in "by feel".