Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor noise?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 04:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor noise?

I just purchased an 01 SS that has 102k on it. I got it cheap because the dealer that had it said that it was making noise in the motor, which he said he thought was a bent pushrod. When i went to get the car it sounded like that might have been the problem. I drove it all the way home 530 miles, and then the next day i changed the oil and it started sounding better. After that every time i drove it i would take it a little higher in the RPM range and it wasn't making any noise after a pull all the way to redline through first, so i ripped on it all the way through first and second, and just before redline in second it started making some hellatious noise and the check engine light started flashing. After about a minute it quieted down a little, and the light quit after probably 2 or 3 minutes, but now the noise is back. I was just wondering if it might need lifters? I ask this because i would think that if it were a bent pushrod it would make noise constantly, which it is now, but it wasn't before. Any advice or info would be appreciated.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:24 AM
Launching!

Sounds like you already have a handle on what it may be. Check the pushrods and if they are all straight it could very well be a lifter. I guess you are like me and want confirmation.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:31 AM
12 Second Club

Just like he said. Check the pushrods..they could have been 'slightly' bent and you could have just made it worse. Pulling them and checking them is easy. If anything, just replace them with some good hardend ones and if the noise is still there...then it could be a lifter. Hell, thats why I have my heads off now is for lifters ticking.

Ski
Old 12-23-2005, 06:29 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Since you're checking pushrods, also check all the springs as well. A broken spring can throw those check engine codes. I had a broken spring that would come and go, granted it was as I limped the car home 10 miles. Fortunately it broke at the first coil and kept the valve from dropping.

Right now I have a really bad tick coming from the back of the motor is there only when at low throttle and low in the rpm range. I also have some tranny issues and I'm thinking it could be the throw out bearing as well.

Good luck.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:20 AM
Staging Lane

well, if it happens to be a lifter messed up, would there be a good chance that my cam would need to be replaced also?
Old 12-23-2005, 11:45 AM
TECH Junkie

you really just need to tear into it and find out what's wrong.
Old 12-23-2005, 08:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TAQuickness
you really just need to tear into it and find out what's wrong.
I agree. You can end up spending more time and money checking one thing at a time. I would pull the heads, replace the lifters (peek through the valley openings and lifter bores to see if there is any damage to the cam lobes), new head gaskets, ARP studs, new pushrods, and check the springs. If you have the money, maybe have a tuner or speed shop take a look at the heads and clean them up. If you do this yourself, it will cost you about $500 - $600. Definitely worth the money to have the car last another 50K miles.