Sponsored by:

Adjustable Timing Set?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Adjustable Timing Set?

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, but the part does touch oil

I'm looking for a set with 2 degree incremental adjustments? A double roller would be better, but the car in question will have an ATI balancer and if it's going to cause any issues with this unit then a single will be just fine. Are the comp, crane, rollmaster units 2 degree incremental? I know some are single and some are double. Thanks.

Also, since the oil pump will have to be shimmed with any of these double rollers do they also come with some sort of spacer for the timing cover as well. Pushing the timing cover out is the only way I would think you'd have clearence problems with a pulley. Thanks
Old 01-15-2006, 03:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Roll Master dual and it adjusts in 2 degree increments. I believe it is the same unit Crane sales under their name... I am using a newer ASP pulley which came from the factory already clearenced so it work with no issues or complaints...

Last edited by SideStep; 01-15-2006 at 03:24 PM.
Old 01-15-2006, 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SideStep
I have the Roll Master dual and it adjusts in 2 degree increments. I believe it is the same unit Crane sales under their name... I am using a newer ASP pulley which came from the factory already clearenced so it work with no issues or complaints...
Thanks. Any comments as to the question about spacers for the timing cover? Or does the reduced clearence come from the oil pump being pushed out which will cause interference issues with the pulley seating up to it?
Old 01-15-2006, 04:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The spacers that come with the dual chain are not for the timing-chain cover. They are for the oil pump and move the oil pump out approximately .125 (1/8). It is done to make sure the oil pump does not come in contact with the dual timing-chain.

FYI: You will have to use a pulley puller to remove the crank timing sprocket. When you put the new dual sprocket on the crank slide the old sprocket (temporarily) on behind it and then tap with a rubber mallet. This will push/seat the new sprocket up against the shoulder of the crank. This is a common mistake and if not done your timing chain will bind and/or rub the timing-chain cover...

The instructions are really confusing from Roll Master. Get a hold of me when you are ready to set the advance or retard and I will walk you through it...