Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

head porting

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Default head porting

Im about to get some 241 heads ported and polished. The guy that is doing to work says that he can usually get them to flow around 300. Is that pretty good. His price doesnt seem too bad at all, $550. Is this a good deal?
Old 01-20-2006, 07:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not a bad deal if you already have the heads or you dont mind the downtime of having them off the car. 300 is pretty good out of a 241, especially if its using stock valves, which I would assume for the price. If you were planning on buying 241 castings in addition to the 550 he's charging you, then id suggest you take a look at some of the sponsors new CNC ported 243 cashings with stock valves.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
Not a bad deal if you already have the heads or you dont mind the downtime of having them off the car. 300 is pretty good out of a 241, especially if its using stock valves, which I would assume for the price. If you were planning on buying 241 castings in addition to the 550 he's charging you, then id suggest you take a look at some of the sponsors new CNC ported 243 cashings with stock valves.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

IMO max lift flow numbers tel you just that.
I would be more concerned with lower lift flow.
Also be weary of overly excessive size runners.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

i would be impressed if he could get 300 out of them with stock valves and hand porting.But dont get caught up in the numbers,if he can get good mid flow out of them with 280 or so for peak then that would still be worth the money,and would make great power still.when it comes to hand porting look for consistency.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:13 PM
TECH Addict

Man, just get ya some Patriot LS6's for the money. Chances are 300 is not goin to happen on a LS1 head with stock valves. I am a firm believer of hand porting....believe me, but with the pricing goin on thats on the net now its just not worth it. This is just another reason I dont port heads for the general public anymore.....not even for myself. Back when the heads were bumpin 1700+ bucks per set, yeah, go for for it but they are half price specials now and it all boils down to its just not worth it for the money. I actually hate that the heads are so cheap now because I enjoy porting
Old 01-20-2006, 12:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bo White
Man, just get ya some Patriot LS6's for the money. Chances are 300 is not goin to happen on a LS1 head with stock valves. I am a firm believer of hand porting....believe me, but with the pricing goin on thats on the net now its just not worth it. This is just another reason I dont port heads for the general public anymore.....not even for myself. Back when the heads were bumpin 1700+ bucks per set, yeah, go for for it but they are half price specials now and it all boils down to its just not worth it for the money. I actually hate that the heads are so cheap now because I enjoy porting
there there bo-white u could still port the t-bodies if it makes u feel better. but seriously i thought u stoped porting casue of that new job u got about a year or so back?
Old 01-20-2006, 12:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zamboxl
there there bo-white u could still port the t-bodies if it makes u feel better. but seriously i thought u stoped porting casue of that new job u got about a year or so back?
t-bodies are boring and way to easy. he prolly quit because he got tired of always porting t-bodies and never heads!

hey Bo, if you want to clean up a set of heads, i have a set of stage 2 ls6 heads that you could have fun with
Old 01-20-2006, 03:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

The guy I am taking them to, his family has been in the business of building race engines for some years. They have very good feeddback from all their customers. Yes, it would be with stock valves but I am thinking of maybe goin a little larger. The cam I am going with is the infamous hotcam because of the easiness on the valvetrain. He said he could match the work to the cam that I have. What do you guys think. How much would a set of LS6 valves cost??
Old 01-20-2006, 03:26 PM
TECH Addict

Didnt mean to hijack but TBs are fun but this thread was about head porting and I did abunch of. I did quit mainly for the job I got but also since Christmas prices are droppin quick- which is great for the passion of faster cars. The only way I see it being a good thing to do hand porting wise now is if someone does their own or in a custom apps situation. My PM box is always open if anyone needs any advice or whatnot
Old 01-24-2006, 05:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the input fellas.....