Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

valve spring base question

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 09:18 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default valve spring base question

Does the spring base need to match the spring?

I have a set of beehive springs and spring bases machined for PP gold springs. They already have the correct installed height needed so I really don't want to swap spring bases. The beehive springs do move around, the stock spring bases don't allow them to move on the bottom.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What you are asking (I think) is will the bottom of the spring locate well using a spring-cup of greater diameter. I have asked the same thing about my AFR205s and going to a set of 918s. Tony (AFR) told me it would be fine but I have to say I am a little concerned. I have not followed up on this, yet... I am going to keep watch of this thread for other input...

Old 01-30-2006, 09:49 AM
Staging Lane

On stock LS1 heads the spring doesn't move around, the spring seats is made to keep the bottom of the spring from moving around. I have the same size of springs "beehive" but not the same stock spring seats.

I have a set of heads from PP which included the PP gold springs which requires larger spring seats. I want to change just the springs but not put different spring seats in. Will I be ok with using beehive springs and keeping the spring seats from PP?
Old 01-30-2006, 09:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

If it was me, I would say no, don't use them.
Because, if by any chance you get into valve float situation, then the spring could have some unwanted side load forces due to crooked seating angle. That can increase bad harmonics and chances of breakage.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The spring cup needs a small amount of clearance. Not sure what your fitment is, can you provide some dimensions? Does the PP seat only locate the small spring or both? I am not familiar with the PP hardware.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:56 PM
Staging Lane

Not an issue with fittment spring sits fine on base its just you can move the spring around the base, its not a snug fit like stock where you can't move the spring around. The top retainer is fine no movement there.
Old 02-06-2006, 01:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I purchased Comp's 918 springs and noticed that the stock seat outer diameter does not match that of the new spring. I've spoken with Comp and Thunder who both tell me that there have been no reported negative "issues", and that it is ok to re-use the stock seats. I feel uncomfortable knowing that my engine is spinning 6500-7000 rpm's on seats that do not fit exactly. Is there a seat made which fits the 918's exactly?
Old 02-06-2006, 01:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't think Comp makes a seat specifically for the 918, but they do make hardened shims that can be used as a seat.